Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam selection?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cam selection?
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for those who have seen it i have that fresh roller 306 in my garage w/ afr185's and im gonna hold off on the whole stroker motor thing till i collect somemore parts but i want to run the f#$k out of this motor it only has 1300mi. on it and i want to buy a cam to go with what i already have being
-performer rpm air gap
- 650 double pump
-long tube 1 5/8 headers
-c4 built pretty tough w/2600-2900 con.
-posi rear end w/3:55 and a locker

i was thinking of going with a comp xe274 or the tfs stage 2 something hyd.roller w/ split duration and around at least .550 lift at .050 cause then i would be wasting these heads on this motor they dont hit savage flow till.550 to .600 and probably 112 lobe sep.
i need some testimonials i want 12sec runss for this car! even if there is a good cam that doesnt meet my criteria but u think it will work still let me know! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
XE282HR-12 and ditch the air gap for a torker 2 or a victor jr.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
XE282HR-12 and ditch the air gap for a torker 2 or a victor jr.

u dont think that a vic jr is going to kill all my low end with only 3:55 gears im still gonna drive it on the street
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ahh I saw mention of a carb and thought to myself this must be a track only car. The cam I mentioned above would be pretty rough on the street though would really make use of those heads on the little 302. If it was my car I would run a single plane with those heads. They flow way to well to run the performer. You have somewhat of a mis-match of parts going. Without a good sized cam the car will lack bottom end with those heads
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

thats why i came to the board me and my buddys have been talking about it and those heads are pretty big to run on my motor i was hoping someone may have an idea of what to use so i can use these heads now and transfer them to the stroker when done!
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

ttt
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The XE274 will haul ass and idle OK w/ a bit of lope. Nice match to the intake, too. Don't worry about the size of the heads too much- The intake wll help punch up the torque along with the compression increase. It won't feel quite like a long runner EFI car but will fly above 3k. Ask 93Pony about install centerline.

edit: 12's? Maybe 11's if you can get it to hook hard.

[ September 14, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

i had a z303 in my notch if you have heard a z cam would u know if the xe274 lopes more or less than a z cam just curious!
stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stang bang 67  Ford pictures for stang bang 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man that cam is hack! and i know that your mr captain handles and you put that cam to use [Big Grin] [burnout] i want a roller cam stroker motor too! [Frown]

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what exactly did you just say? [Confused]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
what exactly did you just say? [Confused]

ditto

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

inside joke sorry guys [Big Grin]
stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stang bang 67  Ford pictures for stang bang 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn they just don't know about stuff being hack and you being "captain handles"....if you guy's didn't already know this guy know's how to drive seen him in action a few times. [Big Grin]

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

so does anyone else have an idea for a cam???
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

is that it two replys with their .02 any other suggestions?
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess the selections are pretty clear. Do you want 10 people to tell you the same thing? Ok I will also tell you the XE274 is a great cam you wont be sorry

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just put the xe274hr in my bros little 306, installed straight up with a 1.6 rocker, hes running gt40s with upgraded springs, were still trying to decide on an intake.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com