Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What should timing be on a F-303? Idling problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What should timing be on a F-303? Idling problem
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just installed a F-cam and gear drive car idled good installed on stock injectors.Installed 30# injectors and C&L 76mm mass air with sample tube for 30# injector and car idles rough and sometimes turns off.I turn on my car on and car will idle from 600 rpm to 1,500 rpm and after about 30 seconds it will idle perfect at about 900 rpm.If I drive the car when I stop at a light the car dies. Timing is at 12 degrees fuel pressure regulator is at 40 psi. Does timing need to be more retarded or advanced ? If anyone has had this problem please post back.

[ September 12, 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: five-0 ]

Posts: 319 | From: San Jose, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You dont have to worry about your timing. There is probably something going no with your new install. Id look further into that.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds exactly like a bad or mis-calibrated MAF...Also, were the 30#'s new or used, you might have a clogged injector...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
r u getting a check engine light?

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no check engine light the mass air is new it's a c&l 76mm I had to use my old sensor with the sample tube but they say that it was calibrated for 30# injectors. But I don't think its the mass air. Just borrowed my buddy's pro-m and the same thing happened.I bought the injectors used could that be the problem?

Drove the car last night and it feels like I'm losing horse power from 2,500 rpm to 3,800 rpm and sometimes it pops. [Confused]

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have all your injectors plugged in right? go back and double check everything back to the injectors

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya should have bought my parts.

No problems with what I sell. [Big Grin]

Except don't listen to Notch1320..... [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay took off upper intake took off injectors re-installed injectors and re-connected cables installed mass air and re-connected positive cable turned car on and it idled perfect put it in gear and reversed out of driveway stopped at a stop sign and died when I tried to whomp it car backfired .On the c&l mass air sensor what type of air filter should I be running. I was first using a K&N cone filter then put the stock box on restarted car and a little bit of black smoke came out the exhaust. Still idles rough any suggetions on what the problem could be [Confused]
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How does it run with stock inj and MAF?

[ September 12, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: PunkINa5.SLOW ]

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check timing!

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Dude its not your timing. When you have a new problem look at the last thing you did.

The MAF calibration is probably incorrect.

If your buddy has a pro M cal for 30s and you have 30s and it still doesn run right then check injectors.

Did you check your grounds on your motor? Specifically inj harness ground?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
How does it run with stock inj and MAF?

Just put the 19# injectors and mass air on. Car idles fine and there's no problems, is it that the injectors were bad or is it that its too much gas ? When I had the 30# injectors on, the motor got hotter and the exhaust tips were hot but the water temp stayed the same, now that I've got the 19# injectors the motor heat and exhaust doesn't heat up as much and is back to normal, what would cause that?

all harnesses are all checked

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds to me like a bad MAF sensor, which is not a suprise at all with aftermarket MAF's.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

I'm using the same sensor on the c&l mass air tube that I used on the stock mass air tube so I think its not the mass air sensor.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try dropping the fuel pressure to 32 psi
if that doesnt work then its the c&l, they work on some cars and dont for others

[ September 12, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: HungryHippo ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

KRZ89GT
¯
Member # 4273

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KRZ89GT  Ford pictures for KRZ89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good race we need to race at a dead stop. are you on the bottle? I'm all stock just exhaust
and gears and the grey fobra wants to run you. [patriot]

--------------------
89' bLACk GT (stolen)
KRAZYFORDS

menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
let me know if you find out what the problem was...thanks
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to buy a Pro-M meter- I had a C&L and had the same problem. Tried out a buddies Pro-M and that fixed it. Idles perfect.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:
You need to buy a Pro-M meter- I had a C&L and had the same problem. Tried out a buddies Pro-M and that fixed it. Idles perfect.

What is your fuel pressure at?Also what rpm does your car idle at?

Okay hers what's going on I changed fuel pressure to 32 psi put idle at 950 rpm put the 30# injectors and mass air back on. Car idles perfect car doesn't stall or idle rough but it still loses power at 3,000 to 5,000 rpm and some popping and backfiring. I'm thinking it might be the mass airflow sensor will try tomorrow with buddies pro-m .

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im idling about 800 rpm, and I still run the stock fuel pressure regulator with a Vortech FMU. I was fighting "the surge" with the C&L meter and a 93 cobra meter. Pro-M made the difference. (no I dont work for them) [patriot]

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

I called c&l performance and the technician said that I have to use a stock air box with a k&n for the MAF sensor to read correctly. After putting on stock air box the car idles perfectly without any surging [dance] . I was wondering what my fuel pressure should be at for the best perfrmance with the F-cam.

[ September 16, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: five-0 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com