Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » dont know what else to do!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: dont know what else to do!
88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88blackstanggt  Ford pictures for 88blackstanggt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Frown] i have a 88 mustang gt supercharged and every time the car is turned off and turned back on or on initial startup, whether its hot or cold it will run really rich for a whilee and run like crap after a minute. then it will stop suddenly and run fine but still rich at cruising and lean at idle. i have replaced the o2s ,changed the engine coolant temp sensor, made a dirrect ground from the ecu wire to the battery, changed the spark plug wires/plugs, checked connections to mass air and o2s both fine,injectors, mass air and i have replaced the whole distibuer cap rotor tfi and coil, still the same thing happens. [Confused] note that this happens all the time on initial startup whether it is hot or cold. do 5.0s go into a starup mode and if so what happens at that point. oh yeah and also a high rpms the check engine light comes on and it will miss or detonate. not sure if related but i believe that they are.

sorry about the lengthly post but im just fed up with trying to fix this problem. [Smile]

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
big ass injectors with no tune.

Is your start up problem.

your pinging up top [Confused]

So sounds like it's going lean. Fuel rails too small?

Your gonna have to wide band that car man.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88blackstanggt  Ford pictures for 88blackstanggt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive only got 24s on there though with the fmu calibrated for it

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have a intank pump and an inline? i dont think those 24's are anywhere close to enough fuel.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IC

I forgot you still had the 24's. For some reason I was confusing you with a different guy that just put in 42's.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are you using for a fuel pressure regulator?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

i have an intank and inline fuel pump and i am using a holly adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

someone please help me

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a look at the 2 wires inside the mass air meter - make sure they aren't contaminated. If they look fuzzy or wet, GENTLY spray them with brake cleaner and see if that helps.
Also, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the pressure bleeds down when you shut off the engine.
You said the check eng. light comes on, what codes are you getting from it?

88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

the fuel pressure does sometimes slowly decrease after it off and as far as i know there are no stored codes, but i will check again. mass air has been swapped out twice so im sure thats not the culprit.

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

kenlani
¯
Member # 4503

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenlani  Ford pictures for kenlani    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya didnt mention it but did ya check the TPS?
88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

im not exactly sure how to check the tps

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
Originally posted by 88blackstanggt:
im not exactly sure how to check the tps

Get a volts meter.

plug the positive side to the green wire and the ground to the black wire it should read 1.0 volts maybe up to 1.2 (supercharged cars like that for some reason). Unless you want to keep it like most N/A cars(stock). .910-.998. Key must be in the on position.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com