Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » choosing combo?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: choosing combo?
charged306
¯
Member # 4761

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for charged306  Ford pictures for charged306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building a new supercharged 306 combo for the street. Not sure of what cam to run? I was thinking of an e303 because of smog, but it seems to be a little small for AFR 185's? Can I pass smog with a custom cam? Its going into a 93gt.

Combo:
306 (8.8:1)(stock block)
185 AFR (box-stock)(1.6rr)
performer intake (match ported)
s-trim (8-10psi)
Shorty headers (smog)

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can pass smog with a lot of cams and lots of custom cam combos, You don't totally need carb numbers its not like the technician is gona ask to show you the cam. I would choose something other then an E cam. There are plenty of guys on here that can tell you exactly what to look for. If you can PM 93cobra he can help you out a lot.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tryin2GoFast  Ford pictures for Tryin2GoFast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHATEVER YOU DO. DO NOT RUN AN E-CAM IN THIS SETUP. IT WILL BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST WASTES EVER. Now that i can relax and take caps lock off. You can run alot of different cams. FTI could grind you a custom cam for around 300 that would make excellent numbers. There are a few off the shelf cams that make good numbers on blown apps such as tfs stage 2. Man look around. There around tons of cams that would make way better power than THE WEAKEST CAM FMS EVER MADE. AaronC and 93Pony cam help you out.

--------------------
89 Notchback with H/C/I Totaled 5/04
90 Black LX Hatch 310/330 AFR/Perfromer/FTI Gettin sydways in a lane near you!

Posts: 278 | From: Fremont, Ca | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also with that combo, no matter what cam you end up getting, I would get the performer RPM intake instead of the regular performer because with those heads and an s-trim you are going to be moving a lot of air and will not need a long runner intake to help you build velocity. The s-trim will do that for you [Smile] Also when looking for a super charger cam, look for a cam that has more duration and lift on the exhaust side to help get all of the air that you forced in with the s-trim out quicker. Like tryin2gofast said you can get someone to grind you a custom cam but they are a bit pricey. If you want to go that route look a FTI (Ed Curtis) or Buddy Rawls, they are both excellant choices
Andrew

[ September 06, 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: AJBlackGT ]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
charged306
¯
Member # 4761

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for charged306  Ford pictures for charged306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am not against a custom cam. [Whoo Whooooo!] I was wondering what kinds of off the shelf cams guys were passing smog with(while making good power). Also you think the rpm is better for the 185's?
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used an Anderson B-31 and I liked it, trick flow stage 1 is a good I think the stage 2 doesn't pass smog, the FMS f-cam is a good blower cam. I think its the comp 2031 that is a cam that a lot guys use, and there are plenty others that are pretty good. I have heard of guys using the xe274 or whatever it is.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your worried about smog why not a stock cam with 1.7 rr's retarded 4* eh Jim.??? [Wink]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
charged306
¯
Member # 4761

Fostang,
I don't have a cam yet...So if i have to buy one, I don't want it to be stock... Sometimes I think afr 165 might be better on a 306, maybe xe264hr w/ performer? Not sure if it will work w/s-trim. Where's the cam gods when you need em?

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put an f-cam in it. i love mine. made lots of power to

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
If your worried about smog why not a stock cam with 1.7 rr's retarded 4* eh Jim.??? [Wink]

I knnow that is a something alot of those guys run in some class. Pretty cheap and affective. You have to ask yourself what is a Blower cam to a turbo cam to a NA cam. A cam is a cam. Yeah some open and close at a little better time for whatever combination of HCI and power adder. you just have to find something that you think would be good for what you want out of your car? Maybe ask some people on the corral, more people to talk to there with different combos.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The combo in my sig passed smog with flying colors, with the TFS Stage 1. It is also an n/a 306 though. You can usually get most tame cams to pass smog if you tune it right and the smog tech doesnt care/ notice that youve de-tuned it.

--------------------
90 Notch

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u want a stock cam id be willin to give u the one i have sittin on my shelf as long as u told me the track times it made.id try the stock cam,u can always swicth it out if u dont like it. [patriot]
if not id suggest a custom

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
charged306
¯
Member # 4761

white1990stang,
Whats your combo? How much power does it make?

AJBlackGT, How much power does that combo make?Also how does it feels on the street?

Seems to me a lot of people are installing cams retarded, why is this?

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

I drive that combo everyday on the street and it runs great. Really torquey and fun on the street. I got it dynoed and tuned, it put down about 300rwhp and 325rwtq, its in a light as little notch with a 5 speed so its really fun on the street, and I have no driveability issues with it now that its tuned.

--------------------
90 Notch

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

As far as retarding cams, I THINK that when you retard a cam it moves the powerband upwards and gives you more hp, and a little less torque. Now when you advance a cam the powerband comes down and you get more torque. You might want to search the corral.net for this as I am not positive, so dont quote me on this. Maybe someone else could chime in and clarify?
Andrew

--------------------
90 Notch

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tfs high ports, track heat intake, 70mm tb, f-cam, longtubes, s-trim, 1.6rr, and all the other bolt on crap. it made 433 at the wheels at only 5500 rpms. thats where it ran out of fuel. when i upgrade my rails and lines it will go all the way to 6500 and should make close to 500

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
As far as retarding cams, I THINK that when you retard a cam it moves the powerband upwards and gives you more hp, and a little less torque. Now when you advance a cam the powerband comes down and you get more torque. You might want to search the corral.net for this as I am not positive, so dont quote me on this. Maybe someone else could chime in and clarify?
Andrew

In 5.0 and LS1 applications this isn't necessarily true. The longer runners of the EFI manifold will produce torque by design. The air takes more time to get started, so by delaying the intake opening for when the piston is more towards TDC or on the downstroke will produce a quicker air response time in the manifold. Also running a cam of this design can allow you to run a smaller intake lobe and have it act bigger vs a bigger lobe that's advanced. By retarding it, you get the valve to close later. If both lobes have the same closing point (224 vs 232 example) then the 224 that's retarded will provide more cylinder pressure (torque) vs. the 232 that's advanced. This is because the 232 is open longer and has less time to make cylinder pressure. It's a complex subject and not easy to type right to get the point across.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

charged306
¯
Member # 4761

Looks like you can get pretty granular w/ details of retarding/advancing cams.....All in all I think I am going to step down to the 165's and a trickflow stage 1 cam, Like AJBlackGT's combo.+S-trim. [burnout] I hope the performer won't be my bottle neck. Thanks for the heads up guys.
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by charged306:
Looks like you can get pretty granular w/ details of retarding/advancing cams.....All in all I think I am going to step down to the 165's and a trickflow stage 1 cam, Like AJBlackGT's combo.+S-trim. [burnout] I hope the performer won't be my bottle neck. Thanks for the heads up guys.

I think Many of the cams listed here on your thread are gona make good power and be very driveable. There is a reason why they are off the shelf cams, they are good enough that the manufacter decided to mass produce them. They are not gona mass produce a cam that is really shitty unless they call it an E-cam. If I was you I would try out the F-cam or I think its the Crane 2031, but I still think that you will still like the tfs stage1. I have a buddy that has one in a stock bottom end, alluminum x-heads, and a GT-40 intake, the car runs very strong with 4deg. retarded. Good luck man and make sure you post your number when you get it all together.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the E or shit cam whatever you want to call it with afr 185s & holly intake,made 280 hp 280 tq to wheels through b& m auto tranny-passed smog with flying colors and put over 400 to wheels with sq trim. Im sure other cams would work better but Im trappin 117 mph so I have no complaints-

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I like that setup. Put the TFS 1 cam on the 4 degree retard slot. It'll run really well and pull some extra RPM's without giving up low end with the Performer maniflold.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
quote:

I like that setup. Put the TFS 1 cam on the 4 degree retard slot. It'll run really well and pull some extra RPM's without giving up low end with the Performer maniflold.
Run it w/ 1.7's, also...

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Run it w/ 1.7's, also... [/QB]

What he said
[Big Grin]

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there is nothing wrong with the E-cam in supercharged aplications. In my 302 it was advanced 4 degrees with 1.7's and I managed to turn a 11.41 and trap over 124. In my new 331 I did go to a XE274 cam and I really like it so far. This is a street daily driven car.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com