Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 87 5.0 Runs Hot?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 87 5.0 Runs Hot?
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Turtlehead  Ford pictures for Turtlehead    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got an 87 5.0 LX that has about 170K on the motor, it still runs strong and dosen't burn any oil. My problem is that it runs pretty hot, up around the "O" in NORMAL. I get a ton of heat radiating from the floor/dash area. I've replaced the radiator with a 3-core and installed a 160* thermostat resulting in very slight changes. What else should I do? The heat is killing me.
Thanks [Confused]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bet your fan clutch is not engaging once it gets hot.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When was the water pump last replaced? Are you "losing" coolant? Did you install thermostat yourself?

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turtlehead  Ford pictures for Turtlehead    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will check the fan clutch, I replaced the water pump a couple of months ago, and I did install the therostat myself. Not loosing any coolant.
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turtlehead  Ford pictures for Turtlehead    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also the car runs just as hot on the freeway as it does around town, could the block be clogged?
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Fan clutch is seems it be working. The car doesn't boil over, but it does ping quite a bit more when it gets hot. I dropped the timing down to 10* BTDC and this helped a bit. I let the car idle in the driveway for about 10 min and the temp only climbed about 1/4 up the gauge, when I drove it around the block it rose to 3/4. What gives? [Mad] . It's been over 100* in Sac and the inside of the car feels like 120*, please help.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you verify the thermostat is in the correct way?

Are you sure they sold you the right rotation water pump?

Is your serp belt on the right way?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u can really feel the heat now that these days are super hot huh? Mines got teh same problem, I gotta put water in it every so often or else it gets hot, but regardless after a while of driving lots of heat gets inside somehow and i can really feel it [Frown]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Yes the the thermostat is in the right way, so is the serp belt, but how can I be sure I got the correct water pump? All bolts and hoses lined up, and It was ordered for an 87 5.0?
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One time in the 10 million times I put water pumps on 5.0s I did get the standard rotation water pump and it took me awhile to figure it out.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blowfish  Ford pictures for Blowfish    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 92 5.0 GT runs one mark hotter when I turn on my lights at night. I think its a mustang thing. Good luck with yours

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

Posts: 38 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Turtlehead:
I've got an 87 5.0 LX that has about 170K on the motor, it still runs strong and dosen't burn any oil. My problem is that it runs pretty hot, up around the "O" in NORMAL. I get a ton of heat radiating from the floor/dash area. I've replaced the radiator with a 3-core and installed a 160* thermostat resulting in very slight changes. What else should I do? The heat is killing me.
Thanks [Confused]

Its running at the O in NORMAL? I have a 180 thermo and the stock radiator and mine runs at inbetween the the "R" and the "M". I think your fine. For the heat coming from the floorboards put some heat resistant stuff down under the carpet.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll look for some heat sheilding, and hook up the AC for next summer.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Turtlehead:
Fan clutch is seems it be working.

How do you know?

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Let the car warm all the way up, and shove a rolled up news paper into the fan. Primitave, but if it stops the fan, the clutch is out.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Turtle not only is that a dangerous way to check but not the way you check man.

When the car is warm shut it off then give the fan a spin you dont want more than 1 360 degree rotation

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drain the radiator a little bit and check to see if you've got a shit load of calcium deposits in your radiator. My 90 5.0 had that problem when I bought it. The deposits can clog the tubes inside of there. Might want to try flushing your coolant too and see if its full of rust scale and crud like that.

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

I will re-check the clutch. I just replaced the radiator a month ago, so flushing is not an issue. Thanks for the input.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com