Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Question about the design of 5.0 Intakes.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about the design of 5.0 Intakes.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking at the design of various 5.0 intakes I was wondering why intake manifold designs need to have curves or bends before entering the various intake valves. Wouldn't all those curves limit airflow? I saw a design like this on a carb'd Shelby where 8 individual pipes stuck out from the middle of the hood.

Take for example the Cobra intake where it enters a single passage then has to basically do a 180* to hit the lower intake manifold, then enters the heads.

Theoretically, what if you make individual intake piping for each of the 8 cylinders from one. If you limit curves/bends in the intake, would you allow more airflow? Wouldn't that also eliminate air starvation in the farther cylinder that some box intakes give?

The only intake that exhibits this is the Probe Performance intake (looks like a faucet spout).

Just a thought.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To make a long story short...

The lengths of the runners is what determine your hp and torque. If you have short runners or a box upper manifold with no runners you will have some higher hp numbers but less torque. The longer runners you have on your intake manifold the more tq you'll have but won't gain as much top end hp.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like GearHead said, it is all about where you want the powerband to be and if you want more tq then hp or vise versa.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The biggest reason that the runners are "bent" on a SBF is the position of the distributor. The front runners are designed to make room for the distributor cap. As the runners go back, they straighten out, but they have to be restricted in size/shape because the intake would eventually hit the firewall in the rear.
The upper intake on a 5.0 is probably Ford's biggest success (in my opinion) for making a decent amount of torque with only a 3 inch stroke and 302 cubes total. Long runners increase port velocity, and the engineers found the perfect balance to give plenty of torque with small displacement. Same idea goes for the 4.6 engines.

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Short runner = top end HP
Long runner = Torque

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
[patriot]

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And to top it all off direct port efi since it allows long runners without puddling fuel. [worship]

And this is why fogger wet kits on 5.0's are a little dangerous.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com