Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Failed smog, need help from a good shop

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed smog, need help from a good shop
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I failed smog and need help finding a good shop in Solano county or anywhere here in No.Cali. I took my car to a shop yesterday and they ran a diagnostic check on my car and found nothing wrong. They said my car appeared to be highly modded and they couldnt do nothing except recommend to me to put all of my stock parts back on! Whats up with that crap?? I need help someone help me out here please!
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so what didn't pass and what do you have on the car for starters.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we do diagnostic work allday long at my shop private msg me for more info we are close to marine world [patriot]

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK,
I have,
*KB Ram Air w/k&n
*Underdrive pullies
*75mm mas air
*24lb inj
*70mm TB
*GT40 intake w/lower ported and phenolic spacer
*180deg t stat
*Mac 1 5/8 equal length headers
*Mac high flow cat(2) h pipe
*Flowmaster cat back
*10 deg timing
*Edelbrock water pump w/ ron davis radiator
*3.73 gears
I think I need to take off the 2 cat mac h pipe and put on the stock one. I had Failed the NO(ppm) and installed new O2 Sensors, IAC Valve and EGR Valve. My number got better in fact the 25 mph fell within the limits but I then failed the HC portion on the retest.

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had problems with the cats that come on several different aftermarket h/x pipes. The cars usually passed after changing the cats to better ones.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it sounds to me like your car is running pig rich because of the 24lb injectors, why do you have those on there?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
it sounds to me like your car is running pig rich because of the 24lb injectors, why do you have those on there?

Bingo. That is why your HC's were high. Is the MAF calibrated for 24's? And you don't really need them at your power level.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you can get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to pass visual, drop it down to 35psi.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

CUASE THEY ADD ON 10 HP [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 75mm Pro M is calibrated for 24lb injectors. I installed both at the same time of the intake and tb change. I installed them for future mods for when I have new heads and a cam. I am thinking of taking off the mac h pipe and putting on the stock one and trying again. I am going to order an adjustable fpr today.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92greenlx:
My 75mm Pro M is calibrated for 24lb injectors. I installed both at the same time of the intake and tb change. I installed them for future mods for when I have new heads and a cam. I am thinking of taking off the mac h pipe and putting on the stock one and trying again. I am going to order an adjustable fpr today.

The adjustable FPR will fail visual inspection. If they bother to do that.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

FASTERDAMNIT,
It's me Jim. Sorry I couldnt call you back when you left me a voice mail but my little one played with my phone and erased everything! HE also got it wet so it isnt work to good right now. So you've seen my car and know my combo. I am wondering if the stock h-pipe will work? [Confused] How's the SVO running now?

[ September 03, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: 92greenlx ]

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you dont mind could you please post your actual numbers. If you are failing for NOx you are not running "pig rich", probably lean actually. With all those mods you obviosly found someone who doesnt care about visual stuff so adding an adj. fuel pressure reg might be a way to "tune" your numbers a bit. I think Accel makes one that looks pretty stock but is adjustable. hope this helps
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

OK,
Here's the 1st smog test:
*NO(ppm)- failed
a)15mph Max is 785 and I got 1328
b)25mph Max is 724 and I got 730

So I changed out my EGR Valve, IAC Valve, O2 Sensors and set timing to 10deg. After having done this I went to a pre test place. My car was sitting and cool right before they hooked it up to the smog machine and here are those results.

Here's the 2nd smog test:
*HC(ppm)- failed
a)15mph Max is 114 and I got 191
b)25mph Max is 88 and I got 91
*NO(ppm) - failed 15mph only
a)15mph Max is 785 and I got 1073
b)25mph Max is 724 and I got 719

So I thinked I failed the HC(ppm) portion the 2nd time because my car wasnt warmed up or even close to op temp. The 1st time I tested my HC(ppm) #'s where 51 for 15mph and 14 for 25mph.

[ September 03, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: 92greenlx ]

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have almost the same mods as you (plus a couple of others) and I was able to pass. I did use the stock 4 cat H-pipe.

If you're car was not warmed up it could affect your results. You could try running it up above normal operating temp and cross your fingers. Also, you can try changing your oil. I've heard this helps (????)

However, it sounds like you may have to change out your cats. You can probably pickup a stock H-pipe off of this site for under $50. It should'nt take you more than a couple of hours to swap it.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Swap your cats for a stock 4-cat h-pipe. If they don't check (visual) for an AFPR-use one and adjust the pressure accordingly.

If they are visual nazi's, use the 19 lb's and stock throttle body. You are running too rich for those bolt-ons.

92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

I have the stock h pipe still. I am going to install it then drive it for a little while then have it smogged.
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like you said, I think it failed for HC the second time because it wasnt warmed up. You might also want to check out the egr solenoid too, make sure it is activating the egr valve. Make sure the solenoid has vacume(look for craked lines/obstructions), power and the computer is grounding it too. hope this helps

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com