Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wanting to build my motor..any suggestions??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: wanting to build my motor..any suggestions??
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wanted to build my 97GT motor..seeming like thats the only way to get some real power w/out NX or S/C. i want to be all motor. but its hard when you have a 97 SLUG. lmk what you guys think.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want real NA power out of a 97 it is going to cost you. the cheap rout would be to go pi heads and intake but you still are really only looking at the low 14-high 13 second time slip if everything else is stock. If you really want to have some nice NA power of out a SOHC motor I suggest you call HCI motorsports of Sacramento. 93PONY works there and he just figure out a very streetable combo for those motors that easiyly makes 300 rwhp and doesn't brake the bank too hard. Whatever you do don't slap a blower on about 8 psi and avoid spraying a SOHC motor with the stock plastic intake manifold. The motor won't last too long with a blower and the plastic intake manifold goes boom constantly with a shot. My advice is to go to HCI have them build you a motor with with about 10:1 compression, some ported PI heads or maybe even better, aftermarket cams, and a Bullit intake manifold and of course match that with all the other average bolt ons and you should be a very happy camper. Form 93-98, the GT's got totally dicked horsepower wise. There just isn't much you can do if you leave that stock motor in there [Frown]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know, i still think 93's are the same as pre 92 i realize that the pistons are different. but my 93 coupe ran great still felt like a 5.0 should and i've had 5 now. [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it was 96-98 that the GT's got owned.

93-95 make the same power as 89-92, they just changed the rating system and used hyper pistons.

however my cars `87 5.0 is the strongest stock 5.0 I've ever driven or riden in [patriot]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another option is to drop in a built Cobra motor.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get a 460, stroke it to like a 557, add a blower and be happy. [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
Just get a 460, stroke it to like a 557, add a blower and be happy. [patriot]

and then reality and the idea of a budget sets in.... if it was only that easy

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah...But dreams can be fun right? [Smile]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
it was 96-98 that the GT's got owned.

93-95 make the same power as 89-92, they just changed the rating system and used hyper pistons.

however my cars `87 5.0 is the strongest stock 5.0 I've ever driven or riden in [patriot]

I bought a motor out of a 88 and it was probably the best damn stock motor I have ever had, and I hear the same about the 87's I just think those older motors were just better made or something [Confused]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im goin the easy route for now by installin the PI heads, intake, and cams. if i install this combo w the stuff i already have on my car (off road H, cold air, u/d pullies, alum driveshaft, and 410 gears) would i be a 13 sec car??
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put a windsor stroker in it. [Big Grin]
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

lol yeah thatd be nice..btw, with the new PI items and what i have would i be able to be a 13sec 97GT?? if i can..thatd be GREAT!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com