Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » some help with this combo

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: some help with this combo
2stang
¯
Member # 4237

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stang  Ford pictures for 2stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This will be going on a 92 Gt with full exhaust and 3.73s

-GT-40 non p heads
-Trick flow EFI street intake
-Crane 2030 cam 270/278 .533/.544
-1.6 roller rockers
-65mm TB
-73mm mass air and 24s

If anybody sees a conflict between these parts let me know. I am going to buy the heads used, so any suggestions on what to do to them I am open to. Also any suggestions on how to install the cam.

--------------------
-92 GT

Posts: 377 | From: walnut creek | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is a lot of lift for those stock gt40 springs

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

2stang
¯
Member # 4237

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stang  Ford pictures for 2stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry forgot to mention i am going to buy the crane cam and valve sping kit.

--------------------
-92 GT

2stang
¯
Member # 4237

Other than that does the combo sound like it will work good. Should i mildly port the heads.

--------------------
-92 GT

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the track heat is a pretty big intake, and that is also a pretty big cam for those heads. If you stick with the heads you should definately port them or the combo will not make its full potential
N/M I thought you said track heat intake, but you should still port the heads, I think you will be much happier with the power

[ August 31, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: AJBlackGT ]

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a lot of cam for a mild street build like that. I'd think about something in the .500 to .510 lift range.

I've got a similar setup I guess. TFS H/C/I, 70mm TB and 76mm C&L w/ 24#ers. My cam is .499/.510 lift and its pretty rough idle. Plus, you're not going to need that much lift on a Street Heat intake. The Street Heat is only good up to like 5500 or 6k and that cam will make power at too high of RPMs for it to be matched with that intake. Track Heat would be better with that cam, but then you'll run into problems with the heads not flowing enough. Do a smaller cam.

[ August 31, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: The Nick ]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
2stang
¯
Member # 4237

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Nick:
[QB] That's a lot of cam for a mild street build like that. I'd think about something in the .500 to .510 lift range.

Ya your right I will probaly go with the crane 2031 276/282 .513/.529

--------------------
-92 GT

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd definately get those heads ported and the easiest way to see if your combo matches up well is look at the catalogue you are purchasing from and they will tell you the rpm band that the part performs well in and make sure that your heads intake and cam all perform well in the same rpm band. In your case if you go with that big cam you should get a track heat but if you go with the smaller cam, you should go with the street heat. I would port those GT40 heads anyway you look at it. They don't flow as well as most aftermarket heads these days. If aluminum heads are in the budget I suggest some AFRs, Edelbrocks, or Trick Flows, but if not definately port those bad boys as much as possible [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com