Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ignition problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ignition problem
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just put in new copper plugs to replace some platinum ones and now I have a misfire under load. When I leave it in park and rev it up it is very healthy, I can't notice any misfire. Only under load do I get this miss. I have new aftermarket coil packs and wires. What else could it be? Can the cam and crank sensors going bad cause this? I'm running out of things that I can replace in the ignition system...

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you gap the plugs to?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are the plugs gapped at? You might want to close the gap some and see if that helps.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Factory gap .54

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Close the gap, that should fix your problem

[ August 26, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: bunchmyfunky ]

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

What gap would you reccomend? The screamin demon coil packs came with instructions to gap it at .60 .

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Try .44 or so
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.045" [Wink]
also make sure all the wires are on tight

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Well to tell you guys the truth I don't think the gap is the problem because it was fine with the platinum plugs.

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

quote:
Originally posted by 1fast281:
Well to tell you guys the truth I don't think the gap is the problem because it was fine with the platinum plugs.

Then live with your miss.
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id recommend ditching the copper plugs and installing Motorcraft FACTORY plugs. Youre not going to gain or loose horsepower with spark plugs, atleast with a N/A engine.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
quote:
Originally posted by 1fast281:

Then live with your miss.
Sorry but [Roll Eyes] lol...

Why not just try it out first.....it's a free fix.

Oh well that's why this is just the "advice" section.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you just got the miss after you installed the plugs? You may want to pull them and take a look at them, I put a new set in and had a crack in one of the plugs which caused it to miss.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com