Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Just a little concerned about my stang...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a little concerned about my stang...
one00stang
¯
Member # 4744

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for one00stang  Ford pictures for one00stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hopefully you guys could help me out...i drive a '00 Mustang GT

I was driving down the freeway at about 70 MPH...I slowed down for the exit...all of a sudden, the engine died and the "engine" light came on...i was able to pull to the shoulder for stop...I had no clue what it was so i turned on the ignition again (not sure if that was a bright idea) and everything was fine and I drove off just fine...

This has happened to me twice within this past year...can someone fill me in why my engine would just die off all of a sudden while driving in the freeway at about 60-70 MPH..thanks [burnout] [patriot]

Posts: 382 | From: South Bay CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car did the same thing....it endedup being the Coil!
one00stang
¯
Member # 4744

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for one00stang  Ford pictures for one00stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how'd you fix it?....
Posts: 382 | From: South Bay CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by one00stang:
how'd you fix it?....

if a part is bad, it helps to replace it [Smile]

my truck did the same thing, but did not restart, it was the coil.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I were you I'd replace things in this order:
1. Coil
2. MAF sensor
3. Spark Plugs
4. O2 Sensors
5. Oil, but not the filter
6. ECT
7. Spark Plugs Again

Just kidding, It seems like some people on this board think that way sometimes. Since it happens so infrequently it's obviously not a hard fault. Your CEL comes on anytime the key is on and the engine is not running, its when its not on when you have to be concerned. Id take it to your local dealer, just ask to check for DTC's (codes),
tell them what happened. You should be charged for an hour of labor and ask to have your PCM updated with the latest calibration. If there aren't any DTC's and PIDS are ok, usually a re-cal will fix the problem, assuming your car is still factory stock.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And your 2000 GT has eight coils.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And your 2000 GT has eight coils.can i help you
with anything else

--------------------

getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i had mine it did the same thing. it was usually when i was going from high rpms and would push in the clutch. the rpms would drop real fast and just turn off. it happened when i would stop w/o downshifting. in order to keep the rpms from dropping all the way to 0 i would just give it a little gas if it looked like it would shut off.
-chris

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your check engine light IS going to come on anytime the engine shuts down with the key on. [Roll Eyes]

The problem lies in your MAF, or the tubing going to/from the unit. Clean the MAF, check all connections and tighten all clamps.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2fstfru  Ford pictures for 2fstfru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Your check engine light IS going to come on anytime the engine shuts down with the key on. [Roll Eyes]

The problem lies in your MAF, or the tubing going to/from the unit. Clean the MAF, check all connections and tighten all clamps.

John is right I had the same problem when i had my 2000 Gt. Make sure you mass air is tighten up and cleaned on the inside.

--------------------
SPEED KILLS!....Drive a Chevy live FOREVER!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com