Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3.73's or 3.55 on blown appl.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3.73's or 3.55 on blown appl.
sikleen
¯
Member # 3973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sikleen  Ford pictures for sikleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hopefully you guys can give me some help... i gotta 2001 saleensc 281 and i was wonderin what is a better gear w/ a blower 355's or 373's maybe you guys can help me out!!!!

--------------------
(OFF BOTTLE)
RWHP: 400
FLY: 460
TORQUE: 420
FLY: 483

(ON BOTTLE=175 SHOT)
RWHP: 545
FLY: 627
TORQUE: 670
FLY: 771

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55's for sure. That's stock for you right?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

sikleen
¯
Member # 3973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sikleen  Ford pictures for sikleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i have 3.27's... hella peeps r tellin me 3.73s..... you sure

--------------------
(OFF BOTTLE)

(ON BOTTLE=175 SHOT)

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's right, the AOD cars have 3.55's stock. The difference is not much going from 3.27's to 3.55's. That is why I would guess that people are telling you to go to 3.73's because it will be a bigger and more noticeable difference, but being that you are blown, I would highly suggest sticking with 3.55's at the most.

--------------------

sikleen
¯
Member # 3973

what if i got drag radials

--------------------
(OFF BOTTLE)

(ON BOTTLE=175 SHOT)

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have a 4.6 with 3.27s, go with 3.73s MINIMUM or it's a waste of time and money. Even with the blower on there.
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by BlackDrop50:
You have a 4.6 with 3.27s, go with 3.73s MINIMUM or it's a waste of time and money. Even with the blower on there.

You are saying that because it is not much of a difference right..... Going to 3.55's that is.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

If you (I would not) want the 3.73's here you go: http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=020756;p=1#000000

--------------------

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDrop50:

You are saying that because it is not much of a difference right..... Going to 3.55's that is.
Yes, and because 4.6s don't have much torque and need to rev up more. The only 4.6 I've ever been in was an '01 Saleen non supercharged and the damn thing needed some balls. Off the line power was worse than a stock 5.0.
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it has the Saleen supercharger, I'd stick with 3.27 Those things are all about low end torque and they run out of breath at high RPMs. 3.73 won't make the best use of your powerband. Also keep in mind that Saleen used 3.08 for their SC cars and then later switched to 3.27

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
QwiknSik
¯
Member # 2347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QwiknSik  Ford pictures for QwiknSik    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just stay with what u got bush ur car is fast enough as it is also did u put in ur third tv yet
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by pheonix:
just stay with what u got bush ur car is fast enough as it is also did u put in ur third tv yet

cause u sure know kevin. rickie buy some other things b4 that. since ur blown. i dont know all what u have....but ide pulley it, exhaust,intake,tune it...etc ide get 355s if i was u....being a vert i might go 373s. u wont feel the diff. that much.

my 0.02 [Big Grin]

know that 4.6s lack bottom end power and tq in general.

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't change the gears, but if you did I'd go 3.73's...Changing the gear ratio will help keep your 4.6 in it's power band, but since your blown it will be worse for traction...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would go with 3.55, since 03 and up cobra have them and they don't have problems with traction only weelhoop but u have a solid rear end u will be fine with 3.55's.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55's [burnout]
sikleen
¯
Member # 3973

see this is exactly why i asked.... so many diff. opinions....thanx though keep bringin them in i need to make my decision!!!! so 3.55s i wouldent really feel a diff but if i went with 3.73s it would be too much.... 03 cobras come with 3.55 because there rev happy... i gotta 2 vavle thats why i dunno if 73's will be too much

--------------------
(OFF BOTTLE)

(ON BOTTLE=175 SHOT)

SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rick, try to find another sallen with gears.... or go test drive one with a gear option...look at door tags{find out witch is witch} might help ya.

i think root style blowers give bottom range power also...ide do 355s but go with what YOU want

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

seabiscuit
¯
Member # 4769

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabiscuit  Ford pictures for seabiscuit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ricky...go with the 73's, otherwise you still won't be able to beat the GT
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would go with the 3.55s it will drop a tenth or two in the quarter mile , but dont go 3.73s those are to low unless u have a 6sp
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with 3.73s or go with nothing. 3.55s would be such a small diff and would not be worth the $450 it costs you.
-chris

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
QwiknSik
¯
Member # 2347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QwiknSik  Ford pictures for QwiknSik    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what did u end up geting
[burnout]

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get 4.10's... I had 3.73's before I got my blower,....but since I can pull my cars RPM limit alot higher then before, the 4.10's are way way better!!

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
sikleen
¯
Member # 3973

im leenin to 73's....thats wut most peeps r tellin me...but its close

--------------------
(OFF BOTTLE)

(ON BOTTLE=175 SHOT)

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10s! We're taking 3.73's out of my dad's Cobra and installing 4.10s.

[ September 05, 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0JEEP ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another vote for 4.10's [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com