Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Powermaster Alt Problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Powermaster Alt Problem
Loren
¯
Member # 925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loren  Ford pictures for Loren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive had a powermaster alt for about a year and recently the battery light has been on in my fox. Ive checked the wires and they seem up to par. On a side note my brother put one in his chevelle and after a while his started doing the same thing. The voltage is fine on the voltmeter though. Anyone else have this issue?

--------------------
2012 Raptor Supercrew
1993 Mustang GT
1985 Vanagon GL

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the battery load tested first before you jump to the conclusion that it's your alternator...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Loren
¯
Member # 925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loren  Ford pictures for Loren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Took the alternator out today after it quit charging altogther. The battery post was kind of loose on it. Turn the alternator over and a melted screw head fell out of the alternator. Turns out its whats left of one of the screws that hold the collection of heatsinks and diodes inside. You can see lots of evidence of arcing. Looks like its going back to powermaster.

--------------------
2012 Raptor Supercrew
1993 Mustang GT
1985 Vanagon GL

Loren
¯
Member # 925

For the rest of you with Powermaster Alternators check the gold battery post to make sure its not coming loose. I found a thread on the corral about a guy who had the same problem. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Raptor Supercrew
1993 Mustang GT
1985 Vanagon GL

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com