Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » visual smogg

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: visual smogg
510_STANG
¯
Member # 4252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510_STANG  Ford pictures for 510_STANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone know if turn downs pass visual smogg?

[ August 16, 2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: 510_STANG ]

Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blownhatch  Ford pictures for Blownhatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pretty sure you have to run exhaust out past the axle for visual... that what i was told on a truck. dont see why it would be different
Posts: 427 | From: Protected Witness | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you'd have to run the exhaust past the axle. Some of the 96-98 F150's had the exhaust exit right in front of the tire. Also, Roush's don't exit out the back. Neither do the 92-95 & 04+ Vipers

[ August 16, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but the thing is the roush's come stock with that exhaust you didnt alter it. on the other hand, you altered your 96-98 to have turndowns. i have turndowns on my 97 but im changing to pipes.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
I don't think you'd have to run the exhaust past the axle. Some of the 96-98 F150's had the exhaust exit right in front of the tire. Also, Roush's don't exit out the back. Neither do the 92-95 & 04+ Vipers

Yeah, but side exhaust is different to open exhaust under the passenger compartment...On passenger cars I believe the exhaust has to go over the rear axle of out to a side exit to be legal....I'm not 100% though...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed a test only smog with a turn down that was about 1' in front of my rear axle on my truck.

smog ref did not complain about the turndowns on my `89 notch either [dance]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
510_STANG
¯
Member # 4252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510_STANG  Ford pictures for 510_STANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
COOL THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. [patriot]
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what i would suggest is just to try it out. i had headers with out carb #, and no catylitic converters and i still passed visual. it just depends how big of an ass hole chp you get. if you fail whats the worst that could happen?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
what i would suggest is just to try it out. i had headers with out carb #, and no catylitic converters and i still passed visual. it just depends how big of an ass hole chp you get. if you fail whats the worst that could happen?

if you fail a smog test you get labeled as a gross polluter and need to go to a test only station every year, rather than any smog place every 2 years.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no I think that "gross polluter" thing is a certain # on the emissions for either HC, NOx, CO, or some combination, you can fail and not get labeled a gross polluter, but if you fail really badly you will.

I heard smog guys are lazy and don't like dumps because they have to get off their ass and wiggle the sniffer in there, and plus it tends to fall out

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93Stang
¯
Member # 4549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Stang  Ford pictures for 93Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i smogged my car today and i have no tailpipes and i passed.
your all good just ask the guy before you smog it

510_STANG
¯
Member # 4252

cool man thanks [dance]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com