Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need my production code #'s run on my 64 1/2-65

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need my production code #'s run on my 64 1/2-65
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up a coupe and I want to find out more about it. Like what was the production date, options it came with and any other info I can. The car seams to be un-touched and un-changed and has a few nice options like the rally pac gauge set and the full length center consule. Can any one run the # for me or point me in the right direction? Thanks Kevin

[ August 12, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The VIN won't tell you the info you're looking for. You need to read the door tag. That will have the interior codes, axle codes, paint codes, etc. FYI there is no code on the door tag nor the VIN to tell you whether or not your car is a GT. The GT package could be installed at either the factory or dealership.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks I used to know that!

65A A 46 18E 73 1 6
thanks Kevin

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
65A = Coupe w/standard interior
A = Raven Black exterior color
46 = White Vinyl w/black trim
18E = Built 18th of May
73 = Delivered to Salt Lake City
1 = 3.00:1 open rear end
6 = C4 automatic

Hope that helps.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Yes it does help thank you. Now is the 18 of may in 65 or 64. I was told it is a 64 1/2 not that it really matters. Thanks again Kevin

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI:
http://www.sacramentoareamustang.org/decoder.html

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

There's really no such thing as a '64 1/2 Mustang. It's just how people denote the early production '65's from the later production '65's. The easiest way to figure out if it's a '65 or '64 1/2 is if it has a generator or alternator. '64 1/2's have the generator and '65's have an alternator. You can also tell by the engine code. '65's have the T, C, A, or K code engines. '64 1/2's have the V, D, & F engine codes.

--------------------

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Well here is a filthy engine shot! So it is a 64 1/2 then.  -

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Looks like it's got an alternator. Unless someone converted it over, my guess is it's a '65. Doesn't really matter IMO, there's not much of a price difference between a '64 1/2 and a '65. Maybe a few hundred dollars or so. Judging by the door tag, no offense, but you don't really have anything out of the ordinary, so the '64 1/2 or '65 won't make a HUGE difference in price later on.

--------------------

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

This is not a generator? I have never seen an alternator like it before!  -

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If that is the original setup, it's a 64 1/2. That's a generator.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Whoops, my bad. That first picture was kind of hard to see. Yep, that's a generator.

--------------------

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's a 64 1/2
the date code would be 18S if were a '65
from a=jan through m=december is "early" '65 or 64 1/2 and the 65a means hard top w/ standard interior. there were 92,705 made total

if it had been a late '65 the date code would run
from n through z accordingly.
and there were 372,123 made total (also 65a)

for the engine code...it is in the vin
yours probably something like 5f07f180xxx
after the 5f07 is the engine code
should be:

U=170 w/ 101 hp
F=260 w/ 164 hp
D=289 w/ 210 hp

if you don't have those engine codes...tell me
but that should be right on...later...bob

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Yes it is an F motor code 164hp 260V8. Thanks for the help. I just wanted to see what I had before deciding what to do with it. The motor has 3 low holes (100psi) and runs real ruff. I have a 90 5.0 I may use the long block from to get it up and going. Then put in new interior and paint and away she goes. I want to find a 65 or 66 fast back in need of total build up. Just don't want any rust or main body damage and the rest will be custom built. Here is the 64 1/2 I have now.  -

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks pretty solid...you might not want to use the 302 block. might keep people from looking.
try to stay 260. more people will be interested, you don't have to say it isn't original. mustangs did'nt have any codes to show engine to car to know that numbers match anyway , but it will still be original.

or use everything from the '90
and make it an efi car. just my 2 cents though.
congrats on the 64 1/2

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com