Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel Problem???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel Problem???
50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50.stang  Ford pictures for 50.stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been having a problem when I take long trips in hot weather. After about 90 miles, the car starts to loose power and when I pull over, it dies. Then if I wait 30 minutes to an hour, it will run again. Also, after the car dies, the fuel pump becomes extremely loud. Could this be a bad fuel pump, or something else?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you done anything with your fuel system? Maybe a line to your fuel filter is loose. Is there a smell of gas in or around the car?
50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50.stang  Ford pictures for 50.stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no the car is stock and I dont smell gas
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe you're experiencing what is called vapor lock?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
have you done anything with your fuel system? Maybe a line to your fuel filter is loose. Is there a smell of gas in or around the car?

not to jack your thread, but i'm having a problem with the smell of gas in my car. i did have the fuel system upgraded. should i check the line to my fuel filter?
thanks

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
quote:

not to jack your thread, but i'm having a problem with the smell of gas in my car. i did have the fuel system upgraded. should i check the line to my fuel filter?
thanks

Well the filter is in the rear of the car. my line had come loose one time and as a result had similar symptoms as 50.stang is having. I had recently changed the filter so that was the first place to check. I simply put the line back on with a smaller clip and fixed it.

What did you do to your fuel system recently? Maybe your injectors are leeking. Start the car and look under the hood for a puddle of fuel forming on top of the lower intake. This is a good indication your injectors/o-rings are bad...could just be one, two or more. Some months back my car smelled so bad of fuel and sure enough a large puddle of gas had formed. I ended up just cleaning the injectors and replace the few that looked bad. Lucky it fixed the problem. How is your gas milage been?

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks

Well the filter is in the rear of the car. my line had come loose one time and as a result had similar symptoms as 50.stang is having. I had recently changed the filter so that was the first place to check. I simply put the line back on with a smaller clip and fixed it.

What did you do to your fuel system recently? Maybe your injectors are leeking. Start the car and look under the hood for a puddle of fuel forming on top of the lower intake. This is a good indication your injectors/o-rings are bad...could just be one, two or more. Some months back my car smelled so bad of fuel and sure enough a large puddle of gas had formed. I ended up just cleaning the injectors and replace the few that looked bad. Lucky it fixed the problem. How is your gas milage been?

i had larger injectors put in, 255 intank, pro-m. i get the smell of gas in the car under mild to heavy acceleration. i've checked for puddles of gas on the upper intake, but i haven't seen any.
my gas mileage has always been pretty bad, about 9mpg, 125 or so on a full tank city driving.

[ August 12, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: castor ]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

maybe it just fumes...where does your exahust exit? I wouldn't know what else to check as my suggestions are just from what I've experianced. But whatever work you've most recently done on the car that would have to do with the fuel system would be my best guess as where to look for the problem. Best of luck [patriot]
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks

i had larger injectors put in, 255 intank, pro-m. i get the smell of gas in the car under mild to heavy acceleration. i've checked for puddles of gas on the upper intake, but i haven't seen any.
my gas mileage has always been pretty bad, about 9mpg, 125 or so on a full tank city driving.

Do you happen to have an off-road H or X pipe by chance?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
maybe it just fumes...where does your exahust exit? I wouldn't know what else to check as my suggestions are just from what I've experianced. But whatever work you've most recently done on the car that would have to do with the fuel system would be my best guess as where to look for the problem. Best of luck [patriot]

thanks for your insight.
trix - i currently have a hi-po bbk mid pipe with cats.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
quote:

thanks for your insight.

Well that rules that out.....hmmm [Confused]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
Originally posted by TRIX02GT:
quote:
quote:

thanks for your insight.

Well that rules that out.....hmmm [Confused]
i may have an exhaust leak somewhere...maybe.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

But there's usually a distinct smell of exhaust fumes vs. raw fuel

Can you make any distinction

By the way what happened to 50 stang [Confused]

Really didn't mean to hijack this....need more info on his troubles....made think of vapor lock cuz he mention that this happens in HOT weather??

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
But there's usually a distinct smell of exhaust fumes vs. raw fuel

Can you make any distinction

By the way what happened to 50 stang [Confused]

Really didn't mean to hijack this....need more info on his troubles....made think of vapor lock cuz he mention that this happens in HOT weather??

raw fuel....makes me wanna gag. i've no idea.
i'd like to fix this problem before i sell.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ok so how's your A/F ratio?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
Ok so how's your A/F ratio?

gotta check that/bring it somewhere.
after i had the fuel stuff put in, sheldon at bigboyracing put it on the dyno and played around with the air/fuel for max power, i assume.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

No dyno sheets w/ a/f [Confused]

From what i hear Sheldon knows his stuff but need to make sure the car isn't just running crazy rich

Cars are just like people in regards to health care you have to rule things out one-by-one sometimes before you find the problem [patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
No dyno sheets w/ a/f [Confused]

From what i hear Sheldon knows his stuff but need to make sure the car isn't just running crazy rich

Cars are just like people in regards to health care you have to rule things out one-by-one sometimes before you find the problem [patriot]

quite possible it's running way rich. thing is, i decided to leave it until my dyno session at apex which was supposed to be in july. a month before that, they had called and said something about postponing the date indefinitely.
i guess lighting a cigarette in the car under full throttle would be a bad idea. [Big Grin]
thanks for your help! [patriot]

[ August 12, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: castor ]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Sounds to me you may have found your "cancer"..lol

Get the thing on a dyno and make sure they use a wideband o2...i bet there's tons more power if they get it tuned correctly.

Being too rich as a safety precausion is ok but it robs power and should never be left like that for any length of time.

Good luck hope i was of some kind of help at least [Big Grin]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

p.s. maybe once it's tuned you may not want to sell after all

[dance]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
Sounds to me you may have found your "cancer"..lol

Get the thing on a dyno and make sure they use a wideband o2...i bet there's tons more power if they get it tuned correctly.

Being too rich as a safety precausion is ok but it robs power and should never be left like that for any length of time.

Good luck hope i was of some kind of help at least [Big Grin]

thanks for your help, appreciated! [patriot]
i had thought of keeping it after a tune because it would feel a lot better, but i recently bought a house in SF and to be totally honest, spending 500+ dollars for a tune/dyno/chip session is not justifiable anymore.
thanks,
norm

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

I thought that vapor lock cant happen to efi cars. If so how can I fix it?
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
last year I was coming back from Vegas and it was damn hot somehwere in the 100's.About 10-15 mins into the trip the car started acting all weird and had a noticeable loss of power and just as you said the pump was getting really loud .Then it started getting worse and worse .So I pulled over looked for the obvious symtoms but came up with nothing other than i thought the pump was taking a shit.after about 30 mins of sitting and letting it cool it was fine.So I started down the road again and within about 15-20 minutes the same thing happened.

So I was stumped.

So as I had another 30 mins to spare [Roll Eyes] the whole vapor lock thing came to mind and I took the gas cap off and the tank made a popping sound louder that I would have liked to of heard.Kept the cap off started it up drove away and never looked back.The car never had the problem again but felt it was due to the high temps that day that contributed to it.

Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com