Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Went to the Dyno today!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Went to the Dyno today!
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was hoping for more power, but:
 -

What do you guys think? I have a:

5.0L
Explorer upper
GT40 Lower
GT40-P heads
E-303
1.6 Roller Rockers
air intake
Apten chip
19# injectors
headers
AOD-E
stock exhaust - 4 cats

So why am I only laying down 200HP? And more importantly, why only 220 TQ?

Here's a little vid of the session http://www.section525.com/xpage/dynofull.wmv

[ August 02, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: section525 ]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think your AOD is what is hurting you. I have nearly the same combo. I am expcting more power like you were. Guess I kinda know what to expect now. I have 410's so I hope my torque is good atleast. What was your timing at?

I do have a high flow Bassany X pipe though.

[ August 02, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing is 0. It's not adjustable in my ride. [Frown]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ahhh, sorry. I assumed fox body. I have a high flox X pipe. Don't know how much the stock pipe is hurting you, but I would guess atleast 15rwhp with your combo?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your tire size affects your rear gear ratio also - you are probably around a 3.00 or less gear with that size tire. Switch back to the stock size tires and your numbers will go up
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The reason I got it dynoed was because I wanted a baseline before swapping headers. The shiney ones are custom made, only two sets in existance (so far). [Cool] The guy who built them sent to to me for free to test on my higher performance (than most Explorers) motor. So I wanted to get a before and after.

-
 -
Next to the FMS headers

So after I get these on, I'll open the exhaust up and get it dynoed a third time. But I'm thinking I'm missing about 50HP somewhere! [Eek!]

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
Your tire size affects your rear gear ratio also - you are probably around a 3.00 or less gear with that size tire. Switch back to the stock size tires and your numbers will go up

I actually had stock size 235/75/15s on the back. [BS flag]

--------------------

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry - they look bigger in your video
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ha.. don't apologize. [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well your air fuel ratio looks a little fat. You want to be closer or on the red line at 13:1. When was that Apten chip done? Have you added anything since? Send a copy of the dyno chart and your mods to Brian and see if he can reburn to get your A/F in line. You might be surprised at the gains from getting that dialed in (though it won't be 50 rwhp).

He was able to get my Mustang to wake up quite a bit as it was running pretty rich as well.

Good luck.

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
Well your air fuel ratio looks a little fat. You want to be closer or on the red line at 13:1. When was that Apten chip done? Have you added anything since? Send a copy of the dyno chart and your mods to Brian and see if he can reburn to get your A/F in line. You might be surprised at the gains from getting that dialed in (though it won't be 50 rwhp).

He was able to get my Mustang to wake up quite a bit as it was running pretty rich as well.

Good luck.

Sean.

I had it burnt for all my current mods (plus exhaust). Would having stock exhuast effect the ratio? I heard Brian isn't at Apten anymore. Know if he is still doing chips?

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a little lean. did you do anything to change the a/f ratios after each run? if they make an adjustable fuel regulator, you should raise the fuel pressure a bit

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Okay, a guy with a stock motor, with intake and exhaust, dynoed at 157HP and 221TQ. So where did my torque go?

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clogged cats?...

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Explorer's too much, but why can't you adjust your timming?...You can't get a timming adjuster?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Explorers have a DIS system.. and I think you'd need something like this to adjust the timing.

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

[dance]

[ August 11, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: section525 ]

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Dynoed second time around... 206HP 227TQ. That was with no exhaust after the cats and the new headers on.

Still looking for my lost power somewhere.. [Confused]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What happens if you take the chip out?...

Get rid of your cats!....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com