Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pulled some OBD 2 codes---need Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pulled some OBD 2 codes---need Help
1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pulled 2 codes from my 01GT:

PO455: evaporative emission control system leak detected (gross leak)
PO457: evaporative emission control system leak detected (fuel cap loos/off)

i tried re-tighten the fuel cap but still get the 2 codes..

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
disconnect the battery and re-scan
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
disconnect the battery and re-scan

what he said [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you left your gas cap off, that was the leak
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your gas cap probably needs to be replaced as it doesn't hold pressure any more.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's the second time it happens, happened to me 2 months ago, I unplugged the battery then I didn't get a light (gas cap light, further right ) for 600 miles. The light came back last week and this time with a Check engine light (after 2 times u get that light, then u also get a check engine light from what i found on the obd2 book...). Might be the gas cap that doesn't work anymore...
Thanks for ur help.

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same exact problem and i brought it back to the dealer and they said that it was an evap. valve on the charcoal canister i believe they replaced it under warranty. (po457)

Not sure what they other code is....hope that helps ya.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be a number of things, If you know you haven't left the gas cap loose, then in my experience the vapor management valve is bad. Its located in the right inner fender. Pretty common failure for 99-up mustangs. But needs proper diagnosis to be sure. As far as the codes gom, the vehicle needs to be driven for about a week (2 drive cycles, where the pcm is able to test the evap system) before you know that it has been repaired. You can disconnect the batt and the codes will go away, but if the problem still exists the codes will return.
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88bird:
Could be a number of things, If you know you haven't left the gas cap loose, then in my experience the vapor management valve is bad. Its located in the right inner fender. Pretty common failure for 99-up mustangs. But needs proper diagnosis to be sure. As far as the codes gom, the vehicle needs to be driven for about a week (2 drive cycles, where the pcm is able to test the evap system) before you know that it has been repaired. You can disconnect the batt and the codes will go away, but if the problem still exists the codes will return.

Exactly what i did....pulled the neg and the light went away for a little while. Did it again and it stayed off for about 1-2 days and then the light came on again so i brought it to the dealer.

I'm sure you'll get it worked out soon.

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

yep..thats what happend...unplug the battery the nthe light went away and came back...I'm gonna get a new gas cap and test if that work..if not I'll ask a shop to look at the valve thing..thanks guys !!!

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My money is on The vapor management valve, located in the rh inner fender. Typically a bad gas cap will give you a p0442 (evap small leak).

If you wanna get it yourself and install, its pretty easy. The basic # on the part is a 9c915, so take this number when you go to the dealer to buy one.

Just some help, hope it does.

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com