Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » PCM (EEC V) ISSUE (HELP!!!!)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: PCM (EEC V) ISSUE (HELP!!!!)
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there a way of determing if the pcm (eecv) is
bad if you the the diagnostic equipment?Help!!
1996 mustang gt misfiring when the car warms up and even on idle.

--------------------
gt40

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused]

I believe on these vehicles you could check any fault codes w/ a scanner if you have not tried that already.

I'm not sure what the ? actually is

[Confused]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think he's worried about the misfiring. [Confused]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there even a check engine light on or is the car just running rough?

When was the last time you had a tune-up?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he jus got it tuned up, the car is misfiring in the 7th cylinder. the shop he took his car to flew in 6 mechanics and none of them could figure out what was wrong with it. they narrowed it down to his ECU and ummm..i think his ignition. he has a 95 saleen s281 w/ a DSS 03 motor. new everything. he was telling me about it and i was confused as well. wondering if you guys know whats wrong with it?? oh one question, i have a 97GT if it was the ECU could they switch them and find out?
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
correction: typo: 96 Saleen S281
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car was just dyno tune a few months ago.Misfiring on idle,what could it be?
Can a cam gear or sensor cause the misfiring?

gt40
¯
Member # 3587

No engine light coming on.

--------------------
gt40

Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
New everything? Including Sparkplug wires?

In 1996, the Mustangs use a 'Waste Spark' system, each coil pack has two coils which fire companion cylinders. The Firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, so, Cylinder 7's Companion Cylinder is Cylinder 4. My guess is, if #4 is firing okay, the coil running those two cylinders is okay. Start with the basics on #7, check the plug, see if it's wet with raw fuel, check the spark plug wire for continuity and resistance, heck, connect the wire for #7 and hold it to a good ground while the engine is running and see if you have spark.

If that doesn't help any, then your problem could be in the Crankshaft position sensor, it's wiring to the PCM, etc.

All OBD-II (1996 and up) vehicles have Misfire detection monitors, my guess is your problem *might* be a mechanical misfire (Something wrong physically in the engine), rather than a fuel delivery or Spark. (Oh yeah, I forgot, check #7's injector for pulse with a 'Noid' light or similar injector tester or a logic probe...*Do Not* use a regular test light).

Hope this will help you guys in fixing the problem!

Nick Radonich

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

leak down test was perforned on the car and its all good.
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Not everything but the spark plug wires are new.
Where is the crankshaft position sensor?

If there is an issue on the crankshaft position sensor,could this make the car run pig rich?

--------------------
gt40

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

I don't think that the crank pos. sensor could adjust the a/f ratio.....but if you are saying the car is runnign rich then w/ the previous info (misfiring and idle and when warming up)i would possibly look towards the MAF possibly needing to be cleaned or like on another thread by Cobra50jeep....he had a piece of the gasket interfering w/ the MAF.

Just a thought but since you still don't have the answer why not try it out and see how it looks inside the MAF.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com