Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bolt Ons

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolt Ons
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are the major Bolt Ons that give significant horsepower gains for 86-93 5.0L mustangs? I need some ideas guys.

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Posts: 757 | From: here and there | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

In my opinion [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who installs nos? do you do it yourself?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its fairly simple. The instructions are very clear. If you get stuck in the middle of it with a question, just ask away-we are here to help.

--------------------

SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say also get an offroad h pipe. and if your serious about the nitrous, then your going to give your car a good , good tune up

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

So an off road h pipe and nos should do the trick? In what gear should I use my nos?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4th or 5th gear if you gotta 5 speed, but I dont want to give you bad advice, I know there are other guys on this board that could give you better advice on nitrous cuz you gotta be careful how much you run, if you dont want to fuk up your motor. as far as other bolt ons there are expensive ones and cheap ones.
Typically there are cheap little tricks that can help you like taking out your air silencer if its still in there, bumping your timing up a little, and theres a few other ones I cant remember, but I would personally get a K& N and then free up that damn restrictive exhaust, but nitrous is certainly a good bang for the buck "bolt ON"

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
intake manifold, gears, o/r H, pullies

i'm in your area and can help with the nitrous too

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Originally posted by hawaii5.0:
So an off road h pipe and nos should do the trick? In what gear should I use my nos?

every one [Big Grin] ...but 5th

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah, you use the nitrous in any gear except 5th. if you dont have traction in 1st then wait till 2nd

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Headers, Mass air, k&n, off road h-pipe, Zex, larger TB, pullies, gears...that should be a pretty good start for bolt on's. If you want to still be smog legal then don't put on the off road h-pipe...or just keep your stock one and swap it out every two years like many people here do....exluding myself.
[Frown]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
electric fan, 10 minute tune up...additional to what is above.

first mod I would do is 3.73 gears though.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
electric fan, 10 minute tune up...additional to what is above.

first mod I would do is 3.73 gears though.

if you go electric fan & pullies you may want to start looking into the 3g alternator upgrade at that point.

God I love my electric fan [Whoo Whooooo!]

hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

How do you know if you have a 3g altenator already? my 5.0 is an ex-chp and I know those came with 3g altenators. is there a way to check?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
intake manifold, gears, o/r H, pullies

i'm in your area and can help with the nitrous too

I've been meaning to hit you up Jon. I've been kind of busy, I'll give you a call and you can help me out.

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the alternator is a 3g the quick way to tell is there is no fan on the pulley on it, the fan is internal in a 3g and on the pulley on the 2g's.

also there should be 1 thick wire bolted to the center at the back and 2 small plugs around the edge, on a 2g there will be 2 plugs with one large D shaped plug.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

I think it is a 3g because it doesn't have the fan on the pullie. I'll have to go home and check the wires.
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gears, an off-road h pipe, and pulleys would probably be a good place to start. You probably have 3.08s in your CHP car. If you upgrade to 3.73s, you will notice a substantial difference. Your fuel economy on the freeway will not be as good however and gears will not increase your horsepower. The off-road H will be less restrictive than the four-cat stock h-pipe. But if you get the off-road H, you may as well get some mandrel bent shorty headers at the same time. The stock headers are kinda restrictive too. And the pulleys will decrease the parasitic loss from your accessories. These mods would probably be a good start and they are not that expensive. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com