Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How does an intank fuel pump not ignite the gasoline?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How does an intank fuel pump not ignite the gasoline?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am cetainly missing a fact or two but it impresses me how it does not just explode car as soon as I start it. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you splice it in, you are supposed to use heatshrink it on there. yes, there's 12vdc going in there, but there's no actual spark happening.

Think of it like a spark plug, the dc voltage goes thru 1 side, arcs acros to the other side, i.e. sparkage. If you soldered the ends of a spark plug together, then the dc voltage wouldnt arc and no boom [Smile]

since there's no break in the wiring in the fuel pump, you have no problem.

3 elements to a fire, ignition, supply, air... take any1 away, poof out goes the fire [Smile]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually using heat shrink is not a good way to make this connection. In the past it's all I was taught to use until I started removing pumps I had done. Basically the gas eats up the heat shrink to where it expands and slides down the wiring leaving the soldered connections exposed. Could be a dangerous situation if air was present in the tank where the two connection might touch. Best to use high quality butt connectors with a good crimper instead.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my mistake, I have these splices that we use at my work that were made specifially to run thru fuel and grease and other crap and not corrode or break down.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
my mistake, I have these splices that we use at my work that were made specifially to run thru fuel and grease and other crap and not corrode or break down.

Damn I need some of those LoL

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not liquid gasoline that will explode, it's the vapors. I doubt there is a lot of current to create a spark between the gap of the terminals, but who knows. There's always a first for everything [Wink]

I think you'd be relativly safe, but speaking from an electronics standpoint, if you're running an aftermarket in tank pump, I would solder the wiring, and use special heat shrink made for gasoline, butt connectors are murder when it comes to getting all of the required voltage to whatever device you're running.

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Teddy Tiger:
It's not liquid gasoline that will explode, it's the vapors. I doubt there is a lot of current to create a spark between the gap of the terminals, but who knows. There's always a first for everything [Wink]

I think you'd be relativly safe, but speaking from an electronics standpoint, if you're running an aftermarket in tank pump, I would solder the wiring, and use special heat shrink made for gasoline, butt connectors are murder when it comes to getting all of the required voltage to whatever device you're running.

Just FYI did anyone see the Mythbusters last night?

It just proves how hard it is to actually ignite liquid gasoline in a tank. They shot at a car's gas tank repeatedly w/ an M16 or some assault rifle and nothing happened at all! Same thing goes for liquid oil....very difficult to ignite.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com