Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how do i check timing on my 94 cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how do i check timing on my 94 cobra
slikstang
¯
Member # 4652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slikstang  Ford pictures for slikstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hooked up a timing light to my car and then realized that I cannot see the timing marks, because of radiator hoses and belts stuff in the way. how do I check the timing on my car.

thanks
kevin

--------------------
Mmm boost...

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, you can, you just have a VERY narrow window to see through. ( I have a supercharger belt to deal with also...) I look down near the Upper radiator hose. It's best to figure out where you are going to look before you start the engine... Don't forget to pull the SPOUT.
Dennis

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As a side note it may be helpfull to put a little paint or something on the crank side w/ the car off to help see w/ the timing light.

I know you may be having trouble seeing the actual degree marks but it may help out some.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
Don't forget to pull the SPOUT.

[patriot]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

slikstang
¯
Member # 4652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slikstang  Ford pictures for slikstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i believe the marker for the timing is on the pass. side can you still read it looking from the driver side.

thanks
kevin

--------------------
Mmm boost...

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll have a small window of space from the passenger side to look down through. Like mentioned mark the damper with the car off with a paint mark as a reference point to see while the thing is running. Try looking in at different angles. You'll see it

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
slikstang
¯
Member # 4652

ok i mark the lines to see if it helps. also i know to pull the stout but what exactly does it do when i do that.

thanks for the help
kevin

--------------------
Mmm boost...

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The spout basically removes the computer from the system. If you left it in, you would see base timing plus whatever the computer is adding at that given moment. The computer uses timing as part of it's method to control idle, so it's not accurate to leave it in. Pull the spout, set it to 10 (if you're going to the smog shop), or what ever you car allows with the stuff they call gasoline around here....
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been known to remove my belts and oversized (read: underdriven) waterpump pulley to set timing on my '94. Obviously don't run it long like this or it'll overheat.

Like other people have mentioned - take a little whiteout or something to fill in the mark for the timing you want and it makes things a lot simpler.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com