Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Aluminum Radiator

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aluminum Radiator
silver 5.0
¯
Member # 4639

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver 5.0  Ford pictures for silver 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can anyone give me any feedback, or info on Chicanes aluminum radiator. Is it a good product, any known problems. or only available for certain years, or would a fluidyne be the better way? thanks for the help
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine works great. Traveling I-5 in 90+ degree weather I'm lucky if my temp gets to 180's. By the way, the pic on Chicane's site is my car.

[ July 21, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: DaveG ]

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dave, got a link to that [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a very nice radiator but it is very much so over kill for most cars. If this is the same radiator I am thinking of it was original equipment on the S351's that Chicane built for saleen. Spendy in that I think Chicane wants like $800 for it. It's awesome for cars requiring enormous amounts of cooling. Cars with similar demands that the S351 requires such as larger displacement, supercharger etc. My cheap solution to spending $800 dollers on my own car is I picked up a C&R nascar radiator on ebay for like $150 and adapted it to fit into my fox body. The damn thing is 4" thick LoL

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, mtbaughs what would you reccomend for my 94gt? she has 124k on the clock, and as of late has been getting to the "a" on normal. waterpump and t-stat are both maybe 1yr old. and temp sender probably about 2-3.
thanks

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
Hey, mtbaughs what would you reccomend for my 94gt? she has 124k on the clock, and as of late has been getting to the "a" on normal. waterpump and t-stat are both maybe 1yr old. and temp sender probably about 2-3.
thanks

What kind of radiator is in there now? I never go off of the stock gauge as who knows what "a" actually is temp wise. Could be normal or could be high. Stick an autometer probe in the radiator and fire the car up to see what kind of temps the thing is seeing. Normally a good aftermarker radiator such as a fluidyne or the like, with a 180 stat, and water wetter does the job. Make sure the radiator isn't restricted air flow wise in any way. I.E. covered from top to bottom with bug guts. Also removing the ac unit from in front of the radiator just lets that much more air reach the radiator.

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right now there is 2-3yr old stocker in there... the previous owner replaced it cause he said the car ran too hot for his tastes.

I made sure that when I had the car torn apart for the new front end, that I cleaned the heck outta the radiator. I'm a fan of preventative maintenance [Razz]

I was thinking about getting a guage to check and see what the temp really is, adding that to the "to get list now" [Razz]

I was actually looking at a fluidyne for a replacement [Smile]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

You can do that with the gauge or you could also hook a scanner up to it that reads ect. That way it would save ya from buying a gauge if there was a scanner you could borrow from someone. The only down side is that you rely on the ect sensor to be accurate which is in most cases accurate.

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

All I have is an code reader, to pull the diagnostic codes, the $40 piece from kragen.

I honestly would like to know what the actual temp is, so maybe I'll invest in one anyhow.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Dave, got a link to that [Confused]

For your enjoyment... http://www.chicanesport.com/product_catalog.html

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

Howdy
¯
Member # 3099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howdy  Ford pictures for Howdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you looked in Ron Davis Radiators? I have heard very good things about them.
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

A Ron Davis radiator cured a friends overheating problem in a 96 Cobra. The original had been replaced by factory several times.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

"Designed by the team at Chicane Sport Tuning, this radiator was OEM equipment on the 1999 Saleen S-351.

During it's development, the Saleen S351 had to meet strict emissions requirements. A huge emphasis was placed on lowering fuel and engine temperatures."

From what I remember the only S351's where the 95's

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

The S-351's were manufactured up until the end of 99. The most of the 2000's were built on 99 chasis.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

oh, ok... my mistake, i thought it was a 95 only model, like the 95 cobra-r having the 351

Ive read good things about this radiator from summit
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-380431&N=120%20303781

I would just need the auto cooler, or something comparable until I do my 5 speed swap

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

silver 5.0
¯
Member # 4639

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver 5.0  Ford pictures for silver 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com