Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Good Place to Start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Place to Start
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking to modify my mustang, where would be a good place to start? It's an 88 notchback and an ex-CHP. I've never highly modified a mustang before so I'm looking for some advice from you guys that are more experienced.

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Posts: 757 | From: here and there | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some time and read.....and read alot on this board. What type of mods do you want? Do you want to set the car up for drag, road race or just be a good street brawler?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just something that is respected on the street. What books would you recommend for me to read?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Posts: 757 | From: here and there | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hawaii5.0:
Just something that is respected on the street. What books would you recommend for me to read?

I get no respect on the street. only people that want to race me are beat up 89 accords [Frown]

get exhaust and air intake, some pullies...nitrous is always fun. If you have the Cash you should get a blower!

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What books would you recommend for me to read?

Head down to this weekends cruise and hang out. There will be plenty of heads willing to help. [Cool]

--------------------

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

spend A LOT of time reading anything...websites, magazines, message boards (especially tech sections), or any material related to performance. hang out at the track, see what people have done and ask questions.

get good at driving your car. very good. i think a "clean 100% bone stock" low 14 second mustang will get more respect than a mid-high 13 second car with a shitload of mods on the street. build the car for yourself, not for others.

what do you consider respect?

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ask questions....I rarely got attitude for stupid questions when I started out in mustangs. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
Ask questions....I rarely got attitude for stupid questions when I started out in mustangs. [Whoo Whooooo!]

[Whoo Whooooo!] I have had my mustang about 2 years and my questions actually get more stupid as time goes on. For the most part my questions are answered with helpfull advise.
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd start with some 3.73 gears and exhaust. Depends on how deep your pockets are and how fast or what you want to do with your car.
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slidewayz94:
I'd start with some 3.73 gears and exhaust. Depends on how deep your pockets are and how fast or what you want to do with your car.

I have 3.73s in ym 94, and I LOVE THEM. sure, the gas dissapears a bit faster now due to the pedal "falling" to the floor while I drive now [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL, the same thing happens to my mustang...........

Get some 3.73 or 3.55 ITS WORTH IT [Big Grin]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
readings good, so you can get the general idea. but hands on of course, is the best way to learn. i dont care how many books you've read, your actual hands on experience will net you the best results IMO. if you have any access to a cheap motor or something free, start out by tearing it apart and putting it back together a few times. but definately read to get the general idea. [patriot]
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm in your area, let me know if you need help

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get-your-motor-breathing
K&N
Headers
Pullies
Cat-Back

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I am looking to modify my mustang, where would be a good place to start? It's an 88 notchback and an ex-CHP. I've never highly modified a mustang before so I'm looking for some advice from you guys that are more experienced.

K&N, UD Pulleys, Gears, exhaust...I'm guessing these are all the "basics" if you're looking to get a little more "umph" from your car.
These were my initial investments, along with LX lights. Come to think about it, I bought the LX lights for my GT before the K&N. [Big Grin] [patriot]
And like the previous posts, build the car for yourself. Good luck and post up some pics when you get a chance.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com