Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bleed PS?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleed PS?
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, I feel like bleeding my power steering system since the fluid in there's black as pitch. I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about doing this without risking getting air into the system, since my chiltons pretty much accepts that air will get in, and that I should get a specialty pump to suck the excess air out.

Also, my steering wheel tends to vibrate (rock back and forth) at around 50-55 mph without fail. I'm assuming this is from jacked up rims since I curbed it pretty hard this one time by sucking at driving, are there any other problems that could cause such a jiggle?

Thanks,
Ming

EDIT: Also, my chiltons suggests that I not use a normal open head wrench, and instead use a flare wrench to adjust my pressure line's nut, anyone know how crucial this change of tools is? I don't want to have to go and buy another once-use tool just for this job.

[ July 08, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Ming ]

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When my system was drained due to the cooler being removed, I just added more fluid to it, and since its a closed system, i rotated the wheels a few times for it to burp the air out.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could rent the specialty tool at Kragens, your probably right about the rims, but make sure to get an allignment after getting new ones. I would invest in the flare nut wrenches, they're handy for brake lines as well.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com