Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Battery Relocation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Battery Relocation
Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dizzy  Ford pictures for Dizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to relocate my battery to the trunk but the standard guage wire wont turn the car over....

What gauge wire would work?

Thanks

EDIT: This is for the 72 Cougar w/ a 351C

[ July 07, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Dizzy ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
0 minumum, preferably 00 (some people get away with 2 but don't do it)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dizzy  Ford pictures for Dizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.taylorvertex.com/batcable.html

is 1/0 the same as 0 gauge? would that work?

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1/0 is larger than 0, it will work fine

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's some FACTS.

Based on Crutchfield's website, depending on how far you have to run the cable, 2 or 4 gauge should work fine. Keep in mind that the cable is only going to be used certain ways. You're only gonna need power from the battery to the engine bay for car starting. The alternator keeps everything powered once the car is running. After the car has started the alternator needs to provide power to recharge the battery.

How strong is your alternator? Most Mustang alternators produce well below 130 amps. It's your call. The biggest factors you need to consider is cable length and amperage, so make sure you choose wisely.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally, I oversize anytime I do wiring jobs, I feel safer in the fact that a larger diameter (smaller gauge) wire will be able to carry more current.

I have 0 guage running to my stereo, It's a little over kill, but I wont have any issues later when I want to upgrade.

[patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i told alen, but i'll tell you as well.

i used welding ground cable. its bigger than regular battery cable, and its flexible like spaghetti. you can get it from any welding supply company.

dont forget, you need to have a cut off switch for the track if you relocate your battery

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cheap:
Here's some FACTS.

depending on how far you have to run the cable, 2 or 4 gauge should work fine.

wow I'm sorry, I completely disagree. 4 gauge wiring to power a V8 starter? high compression 351c no less?

--------------------

Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
quote:
Here's some FACTS.

wow I'm sorry, I completely disagree. 4 gauge wiring to power a V8 starter? high compression 351c no less?
Well I looked back and found that the cable I used before was 2 guage and it wouldnt turn the car over. So yeah thanks Joe [Smile]
Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:

i used welding ground cable. its bigger than regular battery cable, and its flexible like spaghetti. you can get it from any welding supply company.

dont forget, you need to have a cut off switch for the track if you relocate your battery

Ill see what I can find... thanks

on edit : hows this for a price?
1/0 Weld Cable Red $1.10 1/FT

[ July 07, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Dizzy ]

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:

that's what i used [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

What brand cut off switch should i get?

[ July 07, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Dizzy ]

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
quote:
Here's some FACTS.

4ga from the engine bay fuse box to my starter (approx. 5-6 feet) is what I have stock in my '95, and it turns over my 351W no problem. What is the amperage draw for a stock 5.0 starter? I just moved my battery to the trunk as well but that is one factor I overlooked, and I wont have an opportunity to ops-check the system for starting until I get my radiator situation squared away.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

you could probably get by with 4,or a few strands of 20 gauge and a running start [Big Grin] but sounds like a fire hazard to me. The draw of a motor (like any motor) is dependent on the load it is placed under---- but anyways it's somewhere in the 150-200 amps range for a stock 302. So figure in what 14' or so of cable does do a 12v source.

dizzy- summit has switches with the on/off sticker that cost like $10-$15 or so, hopefully you'll mount it behind the license plate [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll want a cut off switch that not only cuts power to the battery but also to the alternator as the car will continue to run if you just cut battery power. At idle cutting the battery will kill the car but if the car is held above 2000 rpms the car will continue to run once battery power is killed. They make a switch which kills both battery power and alternator output.

[ July 08, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

What brand sells that style?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

if you use the summit switch and wire it correctly, there's no special switch required.

buffhomer (do a search on the corral, he has it in his sig) has a nice wiring diagram of it

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com