Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Looking to brake 300 rwhp, need advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking to brake 300 rwhp, need advice
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
building a new 306 motor. Looking for 300 rwhp.

Stock crank
5140 forged i beam rods
ARP rod bolts
Probe foged pistons (give a 9.3:1 with afr 165)
Stock fuel system
Cobra intake
70mm throttle body
stock mass air

Looking at an E cam (need to smog)

I am looking at either the AFR 165, or if the motor needs it to get what i want, the 185 or twisted wedge.

Would this be a good direction for the rotating assembly?

Do i have any worries with clearence or compression? 1.6 or 1.7 rockers?

Can any one make any better suggestions on parts?(intake will get swapped later)

Can I get my 300 RWHP out of this, if not what do i need to do?

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I got a Ecam with about 2 hours running time and less then 20 miles, $120 let me know.
I also have a pair of crane roller rockers im selling.

[ June 27, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: FordPny ]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would get the TW's or the 165's cause you will run into P to V issues with the 185's.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah you can pass with an X cam, you just need a guy like 93 pony to put it in just right and it will pass.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get the 165's with the 58cc chambers.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get rid of the stock crank if you can you got decent rods but that stock crank is still weak and if you run an x cam no matter =how it is installed it will still pass smog but will have p to v clearance promblems run a forged 306 with good crank afr 165 58 cc chambers ported port the intake e cam 1.7 rockers and all the bolt ons you can get and you will be really close.but even then you can put everything on and still be slow unless you do some research and get everything dialed in its easy to put something together the hard part is to make everything work if you need help call me im in sac and always glad to help fellow mustang guys to go fast 916 613 1959 ask for sean

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that should make 300 no problem. since you are building everything from scratch, i'd get a custom cam for at least 320 smoggable hp with a better intake

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you'll be fine with the stock crank, know your limits, and as long as you have good aftermarket pistons with decent size valve reliefs, i wouldn't worry about p to v clearance with the 185s, and a SMOGGABLE cam.
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if the X cam will smog that is going to be my best choice for good HP. If i get the 1.7 rockers how can i ensure that i get good piston to valve clearence?

Would 1.6's make the p/v clearence issue better?

or is there a dished piston or piston with larget valve reliefs amend that?

Good help so far, Keep more info coming please.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, if you add 1.7s your looking at ROUGHLY .030 added to the already .542 lift x cam. heres the formula to figure out lift with the 1.7s

.542 Divide by 1.6 X 1.7 = .575

i would probably stick with the 1.6s for the hell of it. [Big Grin]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're combo is going to need 24#'s and a 190 intank pump...I think the Cobra intake(unless ported) is going to be a restriction, I'd suggest an Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM depending on the cam used...

Stock MAF with a 70mm TB?... [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

That was another one of my questions...

Would i be running lean on a stock fuel system with the twisted wedge or the afr 185??

What about the 165's??

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

oh... was waiting to buy the mass air meter until i knew if i was going need larger infectors or not.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You wont make over 300rwhp with that combo i would go with a little more compression and a better fuel system my 331 with afr 185 heads and a bigger than e-cam cam was right in that arena untill i put the blower on. just pm for my motor details or call me to talk about it. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

svt1165
¯
Member # 2722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt1165  Ford pictures for svt1165    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a blow-job will help [dance] ...blower

--------------------
HK MP5K
HK G3/MSG90
HK P7M8
HK USPc 9mm
HK USPc 40 SW
HK USPc 45 ACP
HK/Benelli M1 S90
FN FAL
SIG Sauer P229

Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some pimp juice [patriot]

--------------------
Krz4rd5

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just buy a cheap stock shortblock ,put on your top end goodies ,and strap on the "pimp juice"for you car.say 100shot off the line?
thats sounds kinda fun..
with the juice you'll be "close" to 400 rwhp [worship]
[Eek!] think about the big savings too [Eek!]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
boost the bitch and get an rpm 2

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com