Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Vibrating around 1k Rpm

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Vibrating around 1k Rpm
95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95_Drop  Ford pictures for 95_Drop  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 95 gt conver with an auto and just recently it started vibrating around the 1k rpm range! sometimes its real light but yesterday at a stop light it shook violently! can anyone tell me what this might be from??????

--------------------
1995 Drop GT 18'CObra R'z & 4.10's & Tranzgo Shifty

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it a left-to-right kind of vibration, or one that feels like your engine's pushing against your brakes in pulsating intervals?

If it's the second, the same deal happened on our ford tore-ass. Changing the plug wires helped for some reason.

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your harmonic balancer, located behind the crank pulley...I had to change my 94's 2 times and it's common on our cars... [Frown]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Check your harmonic balancer, located behind the crank pulley...
[patriot]

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your belt, tensioner, pulleys if they are straight and your harmonic dampener bolt to see if it's torqued down properly.

If you have a frayed or torn up belt it could be one of your accessories isn't lined up properly for some reason. Check it out. [patriot]

95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95_Drop  Ford pictures for 95_Drop  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
@Ming- yea its the second one, when i get higher than 1k it smoothes out a little but at 1k its shakes pretty damn bad....thanks for the info i will try tha plug wire!

@Black 94 5.0- so if the Balancer is bad this is what happens?? did you have the same violent vibrations??

@88 gT thanks for the info I will look into it!

--------------------

95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

Oh yea what should I be lookin for when I'm checkin my balancer?? thanks for all your help!!

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, my harmonic balancer would do just that at low rpms....

The harmonic balancer is actually two sections...The first section bolts directly to the crank the second section has the timming marks on it...The two sections are held together by like a rubber seal...A LOT of times the rubber deteriorates and the outer ring/second section becomes loose and creates huge vibrations....

See if you can turn the outside section of the harmonic balancer with just your hand or if it wiggles back and forth...Check and see how the seal inbetween the two sections looks...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

Ok I checked that and it seemed fine, so did all the belts...so I'mma change my plugs and wires tonite...any other suggestions???

--------------------

95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

this guy across the street said it could be a motor mount but he drives a honda so i blew him off! could this be tha problem??? LOL

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95_Drop:
this guy across the street said it could be a motor mount but he drives a honda so i blew him off! could this be tha problem??? LOL

could be a number of things. Try and check the easy things first. Plugs, wires, distributor, and all of what everyone else suggested. On your harmonic balancer did you crawl under the car and get a really good look at it or just try and move it with your hand?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many miles are on her?

on a separate note, I had a pinging problem and replaced everything, fuel pump, filter, regulator, cleaned the injectors, replaced the balancer.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

nah man i didnt crawl under and look, but i will tonite!

& there is 79k miles on her! thanks for all the help i will let you all know how things went after i change, distributor, wires plugs tonite!

--------------------

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Yeah, you want to be able to see and check ALL around the rubber seal on the balancer.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by outlawd94cobra:
quote:

Yeah, you want to be able to see and check ALL around the rubber seal on the balancer.
I second, third and fourth this comment as I JUST replaced my alternator, smog pump and water pump trying to find my culprit of a problem to find out after crawling under the car and taking a good look that the balancer I had ZERO rubber seal on it! DOH!

What ever your outcome good luck and I hope it doesn't cost a ton of $$$

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine was sticking out about 3/4 of a inch, I didnt notice it until I was replacing the waterpump. [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

yea me too!! cuase if it does i gotta just park it and mob the ws6! I was tryin to get it modded up but then this damn thing happend! Jdub- so when you didnt have a rubber seal your car was vibrating bad??

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
yea me too!! cuase if it does i gotta just park it and mob the ws6! I was tryin to get it modded up but then this damn thing happend! Jdub- so when you didnt have a rubber seal your car was vibrating bad??

actually no it wasn't, thats another reason I didn't think it was the balancer and replaced all the other items first. I had 3 mustang know it alls check my car, even used an automotive stethascope and nothing pointed to the balancer.

The car wask knocking but when I took the belt off and started the car the knocking would go away. Thus ANOTHER reason I didn't think the balancer was the problem because when you take the belt off and start the car the only thing moving is the crank pully which is connected to the balancer.

So finally in the end we crawled under and just took a really really good look at everything and found the balancer rubber was gone. I don't know if your vibrations are from your balancer though...could be a number of things. But they are pretty cheap and if you have a puller the job isn't that hard with two guys. My car did vibrate at 70 mph though. Still does a little, but I think that is the drive shaft. Does your car vibrate at any other speeds and/or RPMs?

95_Drop
¯
Member # 4615

it vibrates less at other rpms to its just really bad at 1k! its a trip cause it started to do it and an exhaust shop told me i had a really bad leak after the mufflers so they switched out the pipes and it was coo for about a month then it started again and I took it back, the guy switched out my whole exhaust after that and it was coo again for like 2 weeks and here we are again!!

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
it vibrates less at other rpms to its just really bad at 1k! its a trip cause it started to do it and an exhaust shop told me i had a really bad leak after the mufflers so they switched out the pipes and it was coo for about a month then it started again and I took it back, the guy switched out my whole exhaust after that and it was coo again for like 2 weeks and here we are again!!

Weird....maybe its somethin easy like your fuel filter? I can't imagine what your exhaust would have to do with it unless they really messed up somewhere.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com