Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Block Differences between 93-94

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Block Differences between 93-94
Howdy
¯
Member # 3099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howdy  Ford pictures for Howdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anybody know if there are any differences between the 87-93 5.0 blocks compared to the 94-95 blocks? I found a 94 short block to replace my 91 and am wondering if all my front end accessories and brackets from my 91 will bolt onto the 94. Or would they have change some brackets and mounted a few things differently?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sure the blocks are the same, but the timming cover and all the brackets and accessories are different...

You should be able to just bolt on your 93 stuff...I think "SHADE" is using a 94 Cobra block in his Fox, but I think he converted to an all 94-95 timming cover and pulleys...

Ford make a kit to do this conversion, it's part # M-6670-A50

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah welcome to hell!

#1 the pulley offset is totally different for 87-93 vs 94-95, so you either use all 94-95 pullies or 87-93 pullies or jury-rig something (shut up [Eek!] )

#2 yeah the above is right, just want to add that you also can not interchange waterpumps and timing covers. 87-93 waterpump only works on 87-93 timing covers, and the same for a 94-95 timing cover.

so basically your choice of water pump/timing cover dictates what accessories you can run.

a 94-95 3G alternator can work pretty well with a 87-93 front dress however, you just have to figure a way to offset the alternator about 3/4", I used washers [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Howdy
¯
Member # 3099

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Howdy  Ford pictures for Howdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for your reply guys. Well that sounds like what I was afraid of [Frown] I guess I will continue to keep an eye out for an 87-93 block or just rebuild the one I have so I don't have to swap all my accessories around and figure out how to make things line up.

This is going into an early bronco and there is enough jury rigging stuff around to get this to work to begin with. It would be nice to at least have something bolt on without too much of a hassell or custom fab work [Big Grin]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well in your original question, you asked if all your '91 accessories will bolt to the '94 shortblock so the answer is yes (accessories= PS, H20, alt, smog, etc.), just stay all 87-93 or all 94-95 and it's a no-brainer

but I just wanted to point out some of the unique differences

--------------------

Howdy
¯
Member # 3099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howdy  Ford pictures for Howdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh gotcha....yes I do have all my accessories of my 91. I just thought maybe some of the bolt holes had changed or been moved a bit for the accessories, maybe a slightly different water pump that would make it not possible to use the accessories that I have off my 91 on a 94 block. For the time being I am going to use a bi-directional water pump so I don't have to spring for a new radiator. That water pump is compatiable with the 87-93 so it should work fine on the 94 block and allow everything to bolt up.

Sounds like they redesigned some of the mounting of the accessories for 94+, but even though the brackets are different the casting of the block is the same allowing the use of the older serpentine setup. Thanks for the info Joe. Just must have read your post too quick the first time through.

[ June 23, 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Howdy ]

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
I used washers [Whoo Whooooo!]

So is that what you like to call toothbrush pieces? [Eek!]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

quote:
Originally posted by Howdy:
I am going to use a bi-directional water pump so I don't have to spring for a new radiator. That water pump is compatiable with the 87-93 so it should work fine on the 94 block and allow everything to bolt up.

all the block bolt locations are identical, but if your water pump works with an 87-93 timing cover, it will guaranteed not work with a 94-95 timing cover. think of the timing cover and water pump as a unit for the 87-93 cars or 94-95, there is no mixing and matching.

and like I said, if you run the 87-93 timing cover and 87-93 water pump on the 94-95 block, you will notice your 94-95 PS, crank, Alt, smog, etc all do not have the same offset as the 94-95 stuff and you will not get a belt on.

so hopefully I didn't misinterpret anything. if you're going all 87-93 on it it will work great!

[ June 23, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: JoeT ]

--------------------

Howdy
¯
Member # 3099

Thanks Joe....Looks like I have it figured out now. The only thing on the front of that 94 block that will be used will be the thrust cover over the end of the cam. Other than that everything will be from the 91.

Now its just a matter of finding out how much he wants for this 94 shortblock.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com