Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » help me make a motor decision!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: help me make a motor decision!
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heres the deal im getting ready to start on a stroker motor for my 67 cougar i already have a set of afr185 heads, and im going to be using edelbrock 3521proflo efi i have been debating on what to build a 347 or a 408 i would like to run high 11's when at the track but im mainly going to use it for street purpose. my original plan was for a 10:5:1 347 with the 185's and the pro flow and a comp xe282h cam and i was going to put the new tko500 with the 3.27 1st gear and 3:73 rear gear for drivetrain but i have been considering a 408/393 latley due to the fact that i think that 347 combo will only make about460-470hp at most and i might be boarder line 12flats i would like to be around the high 4 low 5 hundred hp mark so i'm turnig to u guys for ur opinions-thanx! [Confused]
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can't go wrong either way. if it was me, I'd be in the 351 camp, it has too much going for it NA

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A big plus for the 351 is the block strength. Most people that have them say the stock block can go 700 hp-ish. A 302 is usually done around 500.
Plus, it will not cost you much more in the end, unless you've already got some of the parts...

Shameless plug - I have a '72 block already done, CNC clearanced for up to a 418. Smeding performance did the work. All the good stuff-Decked, Line honed, Cam bearings, torque plate honed....I'd like 300.00...
Dennis - 685-3380

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
only reason i thought id build a 347 instead of a 351 is because i already have a distributor and the intake for the pro flow is for the 289-302 and
the block height is shorter meaning fully assembled no hood clearence problems trust me a 351 would be way eaiser to build! that and my 302 block is roller ready not that it matters it will all be switched out!

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went from a 302 based motor to a stroked 351 for my 67. it was the best thing i ever did. i used a 9.5 deck 351 with a victor jr. intake with a demon carb and wound up needing a cowl hood. i know if i had used any other intake like an air gap, i could have used the stock hood.

i know what its like to want to use the things you already have (ie your distributor and intake). but its much worth it to upgrade. now i have so many 302 things that i cant use.

i have a set of hedman 351 swap headers i used for 2 weeks that will work for your car. theyre yours for $75.

ON EDIT: you should have NO PROBLEM going high 11's if you build that 302 stroker correctly. i went with the 393 because im hoping to go mid to low 10's on the jug...well actually, i like the extra cubes, and i prefer 1/2 inch headbolts [Wink]

[ June 20, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: chosen1 ]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:
i went from a 302 based motor to a stroked 351 for my 67. it was the best thing i ever did. i used a 9.5 deck 351 with a victor jr. intake with a demon carb and wound up needing a cowl hood. i know if i had used any other intake like an air gap, i could have used the stock hood.

i know what its like to want to use the things you already have (ie your distributor and intake). but its much worth it to upgrade. now i have so many 302 things that i cant use.

i have a set of hedman 351 swap headers i used for 2 weeks that will work for your car. theyre yours for $75.

ON EDIT: you should have NO PROBLEM going high 11's if you build that 302 stroker correctly. i went with the 393 because im hoping to go mid to low 10's on the jug...well actually, i like the extra cubes, and i prefer 1/2 inch headbolts [Wink]

what do u mean correctly do u think that motor combo will go high 11"s and they dont make any aftermarket hoods for cougars so hieght is a big issue!
1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just an off topic question, but will a 351 EFI motor pass smog????

Thanks,
G.C.

:
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

depends on what has been done to it? and hope that the smog shop does not know its a 351.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

bump
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go for the 408! It would be in the 11's with out a doubt, and you will love the torque.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you already have the proflo??? I thought that it came on a intake so if you have it already you have to build either a 302 or a 351 depending on what intake its on. I have just a 357w with my ported AFR185's and love driving it around [Big Grin] [burnout] [burnout] but i run a spyder intake with a PMS

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love cougs, u got any pics?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
do you already have the proflo??? I thought that it came on a intake so if you have it already you have to build either a 302 or a 351 depending on what intake its on. I have just a 357w with my ported AFR185's and love driving it around [Big Grin] [burnout] [burnout] but i run a spyder intake with a PMS

yeah i already have the pro flow for 289-302 and thats one of thhe main reasons i wanted a 347 but in the next couple of days im going to give them a call and see what the intake and the distributor are going to run to switch to the 351? and is ur 357 built out of a 302?
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
i love cougs, u got any pics?

not yet once i get it going again soon in the next couple weeks i will have picks i put my little 335horse motor back in for now for temporary use and im going to take picks once i get tires on boyds and get them mounted on the car. [burnout] [burnout]
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:

yeah i already have the pro flow for 289-302 and thats one of thhe main reasons i wanted a 347 but in the next couple of days im going to give them a call and see what the intake and the distributor are going to run to switch to the 351? and is ur 357 built out of a 302?
i forgot to ask what cam are u using and what is ur manifold vaccum like?and at what is the idle when u produce this vaccum reading?
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

bump

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com