Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need an alternator, which one to get/where?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need an alternator, which one to get/where?
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I did my research but I'm still not sure which way to go.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/paperformance/index.shtml

I read that, is that the same alternator you can get at kragen?

Where do I buy the wire to go to the battery anyways?

Thanks.
Also, how much should it cost roughly?

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4723&prmenbr=361

That seems like a nice option, bolts in just like stock but with 25 more amps [Confused]

--------------------
05 wrx

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can buy the wire kits here....

http://www.pa-performance.com

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Spook1964
¯
Member # 4432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spook1964  Ford pictures for Spook1964    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should check out powermaster too they make a high quality unit. I have one of thier one wire 140 amp alt kits in my 64 merc it works great. But they make them for all kinds of applications.
I got online at thier web site and found the part# I wanted then called summit and it was in stock Just cause it isn't in thier catalog doesn't mean they don't carry it.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Spook1964 ]

--------------------
Support your local street racer!

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I second the powermaster alt. 140 amp one wire setup they even give you the wire and it comes in black or chrome. from summit. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

With those one wire setups, did you have to modify anything?

--------------------
05 wrx

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not on 87-93 just install the alt. and run the onw power wire to the solenoid area on the fenderwell and your in business [patriot]

--------------------

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:
not on 87-93 just install the alt. and run the onw power wire to the solenoid area on the fenderwell and your in business [patriot]

Oh, that article talked about having to hack apart wiring harnesses and griding down a bracket (neither of which I want to do really)

--------------------
05 wrx

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

for an 87-93?

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats everyone think about the new MSD alternator available in 105,130, and 160 amp [Eek!]
in either plug in or single wire models. A bit expensive at $300+ but looks really good! Too much for me but thought id throw it out there

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:

Oh, that article talked about having to hack apart wiring harnesses and griding down a bracket (neither of which I want to do really)
its not hard. all you need is a dremel and a soldering iron.
Spook1964
¯
Member # 4432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spook1964  Ford pictures for Spook1964    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The kit that I purchased from powermaster came with the wiring complete with pre wired ends and protective boot and the correct length for a mustang. the only thing that has to be done is to follow the instuction to wire it so that the dummy light functions normally it is a nice unit.
And you can do away with the voltage regulator because it is internal in the alt.

--------------------
Support your local street racer!

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Do you know which kit/part number you got spooky? I always seem to order to order the wrong fuggin thing and shit always goes wrong for me with car parts...

purplenotch- yes, it says you need to cut away part of the bracket, cut open the wiring and solder crap in that article. Thts why I was surprised when you said you didn't need to

--------------------
05 wrx

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did it. It wasn't hard.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

meetthedealer
¯
Member # 4555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for meetthedealer  Ford pictures for meetthedealer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i ordere a 140 amp powermaster last week wasnt hard at all 1 wire hook up cost me 185 from summit in the black finish very clean looking i have a 87 5.0
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got mine from stangparts 94-95 130A alternator. I have some good directions and links at home I will post links tonite, if you want the directions drop me a pm or email.

It's very easy to install...

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

thanks for the advice guys, i took the easy route and just ordered the jegs. Its a basic street car, just a daily driver and nothing ever goes right when I touch a car so i said why risk it...play it safe.

--------------------
05 wrx

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com