Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Battery Relocation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Battery Relocation
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, just purchased me a handy dandy battery relocation kit, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on where I should be looking to sneak the positive terminal cable through to get from the trunk to the engine bay?

Thanks,
Ming

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Zip tie it to the driveline and though the fuel tank works great trust me [Big Grin]

Just kidding watch out for any moving parts or fuel lines and you should be fine.

[ June 16, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: -SVT- Parker ]

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by -SVT- Parker:
Zip tie it to the driveline

[Confused]

I'd go through the firewall and run it under teh carpet all the way back to the trunk...That way it's protected from the outside elements and stands less chance of corrosion...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there a certain area that'll go from the firewall into the interior? Or will I be doing lots of drilling? If the latter, any recommendations on location?

Thanks again
Ming

--------------------
'95 GT

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Read the 1st post at the top page of tech talk...The more information the better....

If you have a Fox body or SN95 you can find any of the rubber grommets on the firewall and make a small cut and just thread the wire through...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ahh thanks, I'll put the details of my crappy car in my Sig from now on [Smile]

--------------------
'95 GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always like to wrap wiring in some wire loom, some say its overkill, but its cheap and gives me peace of mind. Ive seen what a small chafing on a wire can do.... not pretty.

look for a vacant hole in the firewall, or make one and get a rubber stopper and poke the wire thru that.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start from the front of the motor, pwr distribution block. Run the positive lead to the drivers side of the firewall. Just to the right of the brake booster you'll see a grommet. Slice a slit in the grommet big enough to push the cable through. Pull all the extra lead through. Remove the drivers side kick panel and door sill. Run the positive lead behind and under these to the back seat area. Remove the lower portion of the back seat. Run the cable from the drivers side over to the passanger side. Replace the seat and now the lead should be in the corner of the passenger side trunk area. For the ground find the grommet in the floor area of the trunk. Run the ground through this grommet down through the frame. This lead is going to ground on the quad shock bracket behind one of the bracket bolts. Remove all the paint from the bracket. Take the bolt and remove any coating on the portion where the terminal mounts. Normally for mounting the battery box I run two lengths of all thread through the floor. You'll have to remove the gas tank to do so. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
be careful routing the line under the drivers seat, in my swapping adventures my donor v8 coupe had a trunk mounted battery and the hot line was run inside the car under the seat, the seat bolts actually pinched the line in 2 seperate places and it was dangerously close to grounding out.

personally, I would wire loom the hot line and zip tie it to the drivers side frame rail all the way back rather than inside the car.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get this.... guy who i bought me 93 gt off of ran the positive cable pinched between the fuel tank and body. (not safe?) or not?
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where did you get the battery box from?? Does it fit the battery nice and snug?

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A lot of sites recommend it and it worked great for my car: Ground to the same spot as it was originally. For example: the negative should be grounded all the way back to the block and also to the bolt next to the windshield washer reservoir. I tried to ground it with the short wire that came with the kit and it really didn't work. I tried this second method and it worked great. This would apply to a 87-93 Fox. I don't know about others.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Start from the front of the motor, pwr distribution block. Run the positive lead to the drivers side of the firewall. Just to the right of the brake booster you'll see a grommet. Slice a slit in the grommet big enough to push the cable through. Pull all the extra lead through. Remove the drivers side kick panel and door sill. Run the positive lead behind and under these to the back seat area. Remove the lower portion of the back seat. Run the cable from the drivers side over to the passanger side. Replace the seat and now the lead should be in the corner of the passenger side trunk area. For the ground find the grommet in the floor area of the trunk. Run the ground through this grommet down through the frame. This lead is going to ground on the quad shock bracket behind one of the bracket bolts. Remove all the paint from the bracket. Take the bolt and remove any coating on the portion where the terminal mounts. Normally for mounting the battery box I run two lengths of all thread through the floor. You'll have to remove the gas tank to do so. Good luck [patriot]

wow, word for word of what i did [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could also give m.a.d enterprise a call. They're in southern ca.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To add to my previous post you'll want to take the stock ground from the original mounting location on the battery...strip the wires back and cut off the lug and re-ground with a new terminal up front. Forgot to include that part. [Big Grin]
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
A lot of sites recommend it and it worked great for my car: Ground to the same spot as it was originally. For example: the negative should be grounded all the way back to the block and also to the bolt next to the windshield washer reservoir. I tried to ground it with the short wire that came with the kit and it really didn't work. I tried this second method and it worked great. This would apply to a 87-93 Fox. I don't know about others.

its best to have as short of a ground cord as possible i.e. 3 ft versus 17ft.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:

its best to have as short of a ground cord as possible i.e. 3 ft versus 17ft.
Yes sir, battery should be grounded in the rear and the old ground re-grounded in the front. Also it is best to use welding cable verses the skinney stuff in most battery kits 00 gauge wire works best.

--------------------

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Any advice or suggestions for a good/cheap crimper?

--------------------
'95 GT

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by Ming:

Here's the method I use though you will need a propane torch or a mapp gas torch to do so. Put the terminal in a vise, have you solder in your hand, heat the terminal up and fill the terminal with molten solder, stuff the exposed cable into the terminal and let it cool. This makes for one solid connection. The other options are specialy made battery crimpers which are not cheap but do the job the right way as well. Using other methods may work but are not as solid of a connection.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
quote:
Originally posted by Ming:

Here's the method I use though you will need a propane torch or a mapp gas torch to do so. Put the terminal in a vise, have you solder in your hand, heat the terminal up and fill the terminal with molten solder, stuff the exposed cable into the terminal and let it cool. This makes for one solid connection. The other options are specialy made battery crimpers which are not cheap but do the job the right way as well. Using other methods may work but are not as solid of a connection.
ditto.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com