Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » question about slicks

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: question about slicks
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was going to order my hoosier Quick times pros today and they told me I should run tubes. I didn't have tubes in my et street. Do you really need tubes? The tubes are 40 each [Eek!] . Would you guys rather have the et streets or the hoosier???

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You dont' need the tubes and I like the QTP's compared to the ET streets. But why don't you go with the ET DRAG?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know if I want to take it on the streets. The et drag will wear very fast won't it?

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

would I have to use tubes with the et drags????

--------------------

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i drive my fastback on QTP's (w/tubes) everywhere I go. I'd guestimate I already have 3-5k miles on those slicks.

Chris M. drove his car to LA, raced it (1.5 60 ft's) and back on his QTP's.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run tubes in my QTP's (same tubes I had in ET Streets) I like the tubes because they add sidewall stability and less sway on the big end
I also like running tubes because the thought of making the turn onto the return road with only 10psi and no tubes bothers me. That's all I would need, roll a bead and scratch my Welds [Wink]

Good Luck

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much does the QTP's run for?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

How about the mickey thompson drag radial 275-50-15. It is a 10 inch wide and 26.1 tall and they are cheaper and no tubes needed. You guys think they will work as good?

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
I don't know if I want to take it on the streets. The et drag will wear very fast won't it?

You dont' need tubes in the ET DRAG's either and both the ET STREETS and ET DRAG's will have the same tread life on the street.

If you're looking for the best traction then get the ET DRAG.

You could always get another set of rims and run some nitto's on the street and the ET DRAG's at the strip.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

nice what do you think about the mt drag radials they are all around the same price I just don't know which one I want you know

--------------------

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
E.T. streets #1 in my book those puppies hook on the street 26x10.5 15" of course and since you dont drive that car all the time i would use the tubes it will help your tires hold air while your rollin the jeep [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also the tubes will help your tires from getting flat spots if the car sits long enough. well not alll the way but better than no tubes if it sits like how my car sits it should be up on stands to keep the tires nice but if you put your street tires back on and only use the street slicks to go play on the weekend then you prob. dont need the tubes. [burnout]

--------------------

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

those et street didn't hook for shit for me at all. I heated the hell out of them and nothing. The car sits but doesn't sit as much as yours and it doesn't see the slicks on the car much. the 26by10.5 is only 8 inches wide that blows. I want a 10 tire in the back to help me with my hooking problems [Big Grin] . If it had that much trouble hooking on the motor just think about when I hit that jug [Eek!]

--------------------

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Maybe its not the tires it could be the operator j/k albert the key to my launch on the street was to just jump the tires to clean them off and then line em up and go worked well you got to remember they are usually already warm when you get where you are going on the street and to much heat makes em slip, if the 26x10.5 is to narrow run the wider one or the e.t.drag 26x10.5 i think that one is wider than the e.t.street even though they say the same size my bros. looked huge compared to my e.t.streets.

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
nice what do you think about the mt drag radials they are all around the same price I just don't know which one I want you know

The are an awesome tire but not as good as an ET DRAG. They also will not last long on the street.

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

yeah but they really won't be on the street that much. Do you think the et drag will outlast the drag radial on the street???

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com