Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what heads are best for my engine

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what heads are best for my engine
meetthedealer
¯
Member # 4555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for meetthedealer  Ford pictures for meetthedealer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 93 cobra block with a e 303 cam right know i have stock cast iron gt40 heads
i want to get more power should i go with trick folw if so which ones or afr heads which one is better. is their some thing better i dont know about please help

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFR165's [patriot]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

meetthedealer
¯
Member # 4555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for meetthedealer  Ford pictures for meetthedealer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats what i hear but im tempted to go with the 185 afr why isnt that a good idea
thanks

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:
AFR185's [patriot]

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont think you will have enough p-v clearance with the 185's/stock pistons/and any decent cam.

if you do a rebuild and better pistons, then 185s [patriot]

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

the trickflow TW are also a great set of heads too btw.

this topic debate has been covered a million times. i suggest searching. there have been some great replies.

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get trickflows and boost the bitch [burnout] skee-skirt

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno, if it was me I'd be thinking about a couple heads:

(with 351 based considerations later)

edelbrock vic jr's (and seniors)
tfs tw and hi-ports
AFR-185s

I'd pretty much let cost/future/current plans dictate which one I went with.

I have TFS TW heads now, am happy with their results but would like to step up to maybe an AFR-185 for use on a 302 now and a 351 based motor soon. my TFS TW heads were only $935 brand new though.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS heads ported by TEA [worship]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMO, 185's are a waste with an E cam. Most of the gain of the 185's over the 165's is after .500 lift. To really take advantage of the 185's you need a cam with some duration and lift along with some RPM. Plan on spinning a 302 AFR 185 setup to a minimum 6500+ RPM to get good results. For a good all around street/strip setup I like to match them with a RPM intake, longtube header, a off shelf comp cam of 224/224 .560/.560 lift 110 LSA and run on a 110 ICL. With 10:1 compression and a good shortblock and tune it shouldn't have any problems making 350 RWHP/350 RWTQ. I'm actually thinking about running that setup myself when I get another shortblock. Possibly later this year. It should be simple, fun and reliable

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
IMO, 185's are a waste with an E cam. Most of the gain of the 185's over the 165's is after .500 lift. To really take advantage of the 185's you need a cam with some duration and lift along with some RPM. Plan on spinning a 302 AFR 185 setup to a minimum 6500+ RPM to get good results. For a good all around street/strip setup I like to match them with a RPM intake, longtube header, a off shelf comp cam of 224/224 .560/.560 lift 110 LSA and run on a 110 ICL. With 10:1 compression and a good shortblock and tune it shouldn't have any problems making 350 RWHP/350 RWTQ. I'm actually thinking about running that setup myself when I get another shortblock. Possibly later this year. It should be simple, fun and reliable

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ [patriot]

I would listen to him

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

meetthedealer
¯
Member # 4555

all that would be smog legal right?
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all except the long tubes. As far as a cam being legal it is pretty mutch what will pass the snifer. I don't know if the 185's are street legal but it is not easy to tell which version you have with your accesories bolted up.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

meetthedealer
¯
Member # 4555

i heard a x cam and other big cams are ilegal cause your car will not pass smog how can u cheat a smog dyno
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you "cheat" a smog dyno by having emissions that sneak under the allowable HC/Nox/etc #'s, it's really that simple.

if you have a good tune, there are a number of "smog illegal" setups that will pass, sometimes even not having cats or a functioning EGR would produce passable #'s (although rare)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com