Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous owners!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitrous owners!
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got my nx express efi kit with all the accessories and should be getting it installed next week. i wanted to hear anything i need to know about nitrous while using it. Any tips, mistakes people have made, what not to do. ive never used nitrous before so any info would be greatly appreciated [Smile] also where is the closest place to san ramon that does bottle refills?

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT PEDAL THE GAS!!! Either stay WOT or not!! NO NO PEDALING, speaking from expeirence.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No gas-brake dip? [Confused] j/p

No pedaling makes sense, sounds like a mean backfire if one did it with a big enough shot. [Eek!]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Matt, If I recall the kit your getting has an RPM switch which engauges the NOS. The biggest thing for you is to make sure you are WOT when the NOS is on or activated. If you activate it and hit the RPM in which the switch is set too but are only partial throttle you can run into issues. This is the main reason why I like throttle switches which only engauge the system when the butterfly is wide open. Another big thing like I mentioned to ya is to check your air fuel on the dyno for the first NOS run to insure your motor will be happy air fuel wise with the nos. This will basically check your jets on the NOS side and fuel side of the wet system to insure you get the required amounts of each.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
No gas-brake dip? [Confused] j/p

No pedaling makes sense, sounds like a mean backfire if one did it with a big enough shot. [Eek!]

i was using 150 shot, and pulled a rookie mistake! Sounded like a bomb went off under my hood! [Eek!]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of the Kragens fill them.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i talked to performance plus in dublin and they do em, so that will work for me [Smile]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
- Step colder plug
- Couple degrees retard on timing
- Suggest a pressure gauge for N20 pressure
- I too like the RPM & full throttle switch combo...maybe even a fuel pressure safety switch
- Purge valve always helps
- Remember to check the plugs as often as feasable as they will tell you the story of what's going on in the combustion chamber
- As free flowing of an exhaust as possible
- Probably a few more......but can't think of them right now

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
Originally posted by TRIX02GT:
- Step colder plug
- Suggest a pressure gauge for N20 pressure
- I too like the RPM & full throttle switch combo...maybe even a fuel pressure safety switch
- Purge valve always helps
- Remember to check the plugs as often as feasable as they will tell you the story of what's going on in the combustion chamber
- As free flowing of an exhaust as possible
- Probably a few more......but can't think of them right now

-just installed ngk tr6 plugs
-got a pressure guage
-got a rpm rev limiter switch, and fuel saftey switch
-got purge valves
-got free flowing exhast(ford racing headers through off road h pipe through flowmasters)
[Razz]

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
Originally posted by TRIX02GT:

i appreciate your input...
to retard the timing would you guys suggest a steeda timing adjuster for a 4.6?

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned this one. DON'T USE 87 OCTANE GAS!

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i appreciate your input...
to retard the timing would you guys suggest a steeda timing adjuster for a 4.6?

Either the Steeda thing, or have Byron or somebody burn you a 2 or 3-way switch chip on the dyno, so you can toggle between "factory" and pulling 4-6 degrees.

He flashed a 2-way chip for me with a 5 degree retard and a slight bump on the flip side that I toggle switch.

More $$$, but a lot easier than the Steeda gadget.

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned this one. DON'T USE 87 OCTANE GAS!

Figured that would be a given w/ forced induction especially here in Cali.

Sic98gt: You're very welcome! [patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

03GT281
¯
Member # 2944

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03GT281  Ford pictures for 03GT281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you dont need to retard the timing with the wet nx kit
Posts: 218 | From: FF-707/EDH-916 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03GT281:
you dont need to retard the timing with the wet nx kit

now that I don't believe. Maybe on a DOHC cobra which uses a knock sensor, or in a GM application with the same--- otherwise pull roughly 1-2 degrees per 50 HP.

haven't seen anyone mention fuel till now. Bigger fuel pump won't hurt. Running lean at max rpms doesn't make for happy piston surfaces and headgasket retention.

edit: maybe you're not talking about the 'NX' kit, but rather the 'ZEX' kit, the ZEX does have some sort of timing control built in.

[ June 15, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: JoeT ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com