Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Stupid Questions From A Noob

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid Questions From A Noob
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright guys, so you know that I have an 86 Mustang GT. When I got this thing it was completely stock except for a set of E7 heads, custom ground CompCams cam (about the same specs as their 268 xtreme energy cam), headers, & exhaust. I had it dynoed and it was putting down 197rwhp & about 250rwtq. I really feel that it has more power than that, but due to the stock ignition getting sporadic at around 3200 and cutting out at 4000 it obviously wasn't performing/getting measured accurately.

Well since then I had dropped on a 70mm t/b & spacer, C.A.I., mass air conversion, & MSD ignition. I'm sure I've upped the hp to somewhere around 230. Good, but not great.

A few things I plan on doing is porting the sh*t out of my E7s and having the valves enlarged, followed by porting out the stock upper & lower intakes.

Back on the subject, I was flipping through my Summit Racing catalog and was checking out the Vortech S/C kits, they have one that is 5psi and one that is like 6 - 8 or something. Do you think the motor could handle the boost of the 5psi kit? Of the 6 - 8psi kit? 10psi?

If I were to buy the 5psi kit, can I swap pulleys on it and run more boost or is it non adjustable?
Should I use their aftercooler or run a 50 - 75 shot of n2o to cool things down or both?

Does anyone know of a machine shop in the Chico/Orland area that will enlarge the valves on my heads?

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many miles on the bottom end?

i would not spend the money to have that work done to your heads. if you searched hard enough, you will find a better set of used heads for about the same amount of money.

also, the stock pistons on 86 motors dont have valve reliefs that will accept bigger valves.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah, and as long as you post your tech questions with an open mind and without an attitude (like you did successfully), people will always be willing to help you and no question will ever be viewed as stupid.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are thinking of getting a Vortech check out fourvalve.com He is a member here and has given me the cheapest price on a the entry level kit.

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=018699

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chosen1: The motor has about 87k on it right now, the porting will be done by yours truly so not much money will be spent there. I guess I can just port and not have larger valves?

I try not to get an attitude, especially over the internet because then it becomes a waste of time and your hands cramp from all the typing.

MR GO FAST: thanks for the link! I'm checking it out now. [Smile]

Thanks for the reply guys.

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Terrills Clyinder Heads in Chico ported my GT-40 irons.

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't waste my time with a supercharger with stock 86 heads...If you plan on doing both supercharger and heads then that's awesome...

You don't have too much cylinder head selection with an 86 short block...Porting E7's would be cool with the stock 86 short block, but I think you're really holding yourself back...Some used GT40 iron heads will offer great bang for buck, but I'm not sure about the piston to valve clearance for an 86 with GT40's...

Have you thought about a used 87+ short block or maybe rebuilding your stock block?...

[ June 08, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

It has a set of E7s on there. That's why I was going to port them and then have someone enlarge the valves, figured that'd be cheaper than spending $700 on a set of Powerheads.

I'm just wanting to see how much hp I can squeeze out of this thing without having to do anything major to the motor. Like said before, I had it dynoed and was pushing 197rwhp. I think I could bust 230 - 250rwhp before I have to spend $ on aftermarket heads,intake, etc..

I'm still confused really on what route I should take, maybe I'll get as much hp as I can n/a and then later do a rebuild and then run a s/c? Who knows...Thanks for letting me babble and answering my questions!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com