Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Upgrading my '69 ignition system

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Upgrading my '69 ignition system
Angm167
Member # 4580

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for Angm167  Ford pictures for Angm167    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I recently buoght a '69 that a previous owner half ass tried to supe-up, not that I really know what I'm doing either! [Frown] Anyways...my problem is that the original distributor was replaced with a Mallory electronic ignition. I may be wrong, but more needs to be replaced than just the distributor and the new coil, right? My car will not hold a charge. The ALT either isn't giving up enough power, or it's not be transfered to the battery properly. The car is fine while it's daylight, but when I have to turn on the headlights, it don't take long for the lights to start going dim, and after a few night drives it won't start without a jump. Also, everthing is still there. Meaning the voltage regulator, and other stuff bolted along side the battery. Shouldn't that be altered in some way now too? I don't want to just go buy a new ALT only to find out it isn't that. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? [Confused]
Posts: 5 | From: S.F. Easy Bay | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
replacing just the distributor and coil is fine. a lot of people do that to get rid of points which sucks. i spent years tracing wiring bugs in my 67, until i just got fed up and rewired everything. i would do two things right off the bat. throw your voltage regulators away and buy a 1 wire alternator. secondly, get a volt gauge. these are really simple to install. you can run the hot wire to the back of your ignition switch, ground is ground, and find a blue wire with red stripe for the light source. the light on the gauge should dim and get brighter with your dimmer switch.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Angm167
Member # 4580

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Angm167  Ford pictures for Angm167    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, what kind of changes will I have to do to the wiring to accomidate the one wire ALT, and exactly what is a volt gauge intended for?
Thanks for the help....

Posts: 5 | From: S.F. Easy Bay | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com