Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will a 28 BY 10.5 et drag fit?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will a 28 BY 10.5 et drag fit?
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to run this tire on a 8 inch draglite. Will it fit on the car. I know I will have to roll the fenders and remove the quad shock but other than that will it fit?

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What gears are you planning on using?
What RPM are you spinning your motor to?
How fast are you planning on going?
The reason I ask is that I am running 4.10's and a 27x10.50 and run through the traps right around 6050 rpm @ 122 mph. I am actually thinking of changing to 4.30's

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes a 28x10.5x15 will fit on a 8" rim with 5.5bs. You will need to roll the lip and bang the HELL out of the inner fender. If you have a GT you will need to trim the ground effects and you may need adjustable lower control arms to center the wheel in the well for clearance reasons.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.73 and I just want the damn thing to hook. On the motor I will spin her up to 6700 or so. But on the jug I think the most I will take her to is 6200 or so. It is an lx I don't know the back spacing of the rim but they were on the car with 26 by 10.5 et streets (I know et streets aren't as wide as the drags).

--------------------

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An 8" wide rim is a little narrow for that size slick and MT recommends a 9" minimum width so your contact patch will be a little small. You will still benefit from the larger sidewall over a 26" tire though. You will need adjustable upper and lower arms to get the tire centered in the wheel well opening. Just having either adjustable lowers or uppers only will not get you there because anytime you adjust the length of the arms you change the pinion angle. Having both upper and lower adjustable will allow you to center the tire as well as set the pinion angle.

Even with the tires centered you will probably get some rubbing on the quarter panels at speed.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

so should I just get a smaller drag tire? I have steeda solid aluminum upper and lowers and don't really want to change them over.

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

What about the new mickey thompson drag radial? What size do you think would benefit me?

--------------------

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think MT has a new 27" x 10.5 slick that might work for you also. It might be small enough to fit without needing to it center in the hole. I wouldn't even attempt a 28" slick with non adjustable arms.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that size tire fit in my 88 gt barely, the rims had the wrong backspacing so I couldnt use them but here is what it looked like with 4.5" backspacing on a 8" wide rim

-
 -

[ June 03, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: mustanggt5091 ]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

so should I attempt a 27 by 11.5 how about a drag radial. I was thinking about the bfg with 275/60R15. What do you guys think or maybe just a real 26 by 10.5 et drag

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

I think I am going to get some hoosier tires. The quick time pros 26 by 11.5 by 15. that is a 10 inch wide tire and 26 tall I think that will fit

[ June 03, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: 1SLOWLX ]

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
so should I just get a smaller drag tire? I have steeda solid aluminum upper and lowers and don't really want to change them over.

Unless you are making over 600rwhp a 26x10 MT ET DRAG should be plenty if your suspension is setup right.

--------------------

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes,you can fit a 28x10.50 ET Drag on the car.Both my brother and myself have had 28x10.50 ET Drags on our cars and neither cars had adjustable upper and lower control arms.I had a set of non-adjustable SSM Uppers/Lowers on the car and my brothers car had a set of non-adjustable Factory Five Upper/Lowers.

Now here is what you will need to do if you insist on the 28x10.5 ET Drag.First off you will need a 15x8(yes this will be fine I have had and seen many cars with this setup and it will work fine)with a 5.5" backspacing.As stated before you WILL need to roll the fenders and you WILL need to bust out the BFH(big fukkin hammer)and "BEAT THE HELL OUT OF" the inside fener well for the tire to clear.You WILLNOT have to cut any cosmetic pieces whether it be a GT or LX.

Now here is my suggestion and that would be to go with the NEW 275/60/15 MICKEY Thompson Drag Radial.It will give you plenty of room with a shittload of hook.If you need some examples my car was 60ft'n a 1.58 on motor with an ET Street and with a change to the NEW Mickey T ET Drag Radail I am 60ft'n a 1.51.I have seen these tires 60ft in the 1.31 range so YES they do hook.Now this is my opinion but dude these tires kick ass and that is my suggestion as to what tire you should use.It will fit easily on your car wiht prolly no issues and you can run a 15x8 with a 5.5" BS without a problem....

Oh yeah NO on the BFG Drag Radial

[patriot]

[ June 04, 2004, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: HaulinAssMaro ]

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

thanks you for your opinion. I don't think the drag radial is out to the public yet are they. I was leaning toward the hoosier qucik time pro. It is a 10 radial and 26 tall and should work real well with the setup. Let me know what you think

--------------------

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
albert,
i bought the QTP's and i love them. however, if the M/T DR's were available last fall, i would have gotten those. yes they are available.

pm mr. go fast. he can get them for you.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAssMaro:
Now here is what you will need to do if you insist on the 28x10.5 ET Drag.First off you will need a 15x8(yes this will be fine I have had and seen many cars with this setup and it will work fine)with a 5.5" backspacing.As stated before you WILL need to roll the fenders and you WILL need to bust out the BFH(big fukkin hammer)and "BEAT THE HELL OUT OF" the inside fener well for the tire to clear.You WILLNOT have to cut any cosmetic pieces whether it be a GT or LX.

You don't NEED a 15x8" rim. A 15x9 with 5.5bs or a 15x10 with 6.5bs will also work fine. The wider rims work better. Also, I have never seen a foxbody GT that could fit the 28x10.5x15 ET DRAG without having to trim the ground effects.

[patriot]

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
I don't think the drag radial is out to the public yet are they

I got our first sets this tuesday and already sold out. I will let you know if I get more. [Cool]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would a 10 inch tire fit back there on an 8 inch rim?

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
would a 10 inch tire fit back there on an 8 inch rim?

Yes.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com