Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » King cobra clutch,what do you think?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: King cobra clutch,what do you think?
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone ever used one of these and what did you think of it?

[ June 01, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are good clutches if you don't plan on really making serious HP.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a used one off the50ho about 2 years ago. Even though it was used, it still grabbed like a new clutch and I never had a problem with it. I am not sure how much power they can handle though.

Edit: I have gone with SPEC since though. And these grab veeeery well.

[ June 01, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Quick 88LX ]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard the clutch pedal was really hard on these.You guys know if this is true?

--------------------

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's a bit stiff. Mine has held up to 430rwhp for about 50,000 miles now.
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Sounds like itll work for me,thanks guys. [burnout]

--------------------

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To be honest with you i hate the feel of the cobra clutch after like three launches it gets mushy but mine is still holding up with no slippage on the dyno with 515 horsepower so i guess it is an ok clutch but if i could do it again i would put in a centerforce. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a King Cobra installed on my 'vert. Somewhat stiff but nothing like a Spec stg. 3+ clutch. It's still grabby after 5,000+ miles of driving. I'm not pushing huge numbers so it should up for you. I'm going spec next time though.
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
I heard the clutch pedal was really hard on these.You guys know if this is true?

jeff the pressure plate sucks the pedal is way hard and you will break your cable
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have about 5,000 miles on my king cobra. like said before the first few launches are great but seems to have some mush in it now...doesn't slip might be my cable. All in all I like the clutch for the price its great and holds a decent amount of power to it.

[ June 02, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
have about 5,000 miles on my king cobra. like said before the first few launches are great but seems to have some mush in it now...doesn't slip might be my cable. All in all I like the clutch for the price its great and holds a decent amount of power to it.

i went though 3 cables thought the cabels were bad then took out the clutch and the pressure plate was messed up i then went with a kragen specialties and it was much better went thur about 30 5000 rpm launches
joser90coupe
¯
Member # 2785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joser90coupe  Ford pictures for joser90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anybody know if it says fordracing or fordmotorsport anywhere on the disk or presure plate to identify that it's a king cobra kit? or any #'s of some sort printed on the items?
Posts: 135 | From: Eastbay 510 | Registered: May 2003  |  :
joser90coupe
¯
Member # 2785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joser90coupe  Ford pictures for joser90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anybody?????
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I liked the two that I had. I wasn't pushing tons of power but I know people that have put a lot of power to them and they held up decently. They are a bit stiffer and would be wise to get an adjustablt clutch Cable. I have a used one if you want to buy it cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by joser90coupe:
Does anybody know if it says fordracing or fordmotorsport anywhere on the disk or presure plate to identify that it's a king cobra kit? or any #'s of some sort printed on the items?

The ones I have always had, the springs on the Clutch disc were always a light blue color, but other then that looked like a regular clutch.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also have a King Cobra Clutch in my '92 vert,..the pedal is bit stiff, but it grabs really great,....for the price. Remember you get what you pay for,... If you're not in a rush you might as well save up a little more and get a centerforce, or SPEC [Wink] if you're thinking about adding serious HP's [burnout]

Outy 5K, [burnout]
G.C.

:
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've had mine for 30k+ miles. no complaints

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go SPEC don't go too crazy - my brother put a stage III in his blown firebird and it's nearly impossible to leave a stoplight without severe clutch chatter. It holds the 550rwhp pretty well though.
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

I put the king cobra in the car today.Ill get the tranny in tomorrow and ill let you guys know what i think of it.

--------------------

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got a centerforce dual friction and love it. Holds very well. It also has a stock feel to the pedal which is good too. It is a bit pricey compared to a king cobra but an awesome clutch.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

I wouldve got a centerforce,but didnt wanna spend that much.

--------------------

joser90coupe
¯
Member # 2785

quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
I liked the two that I had. I wasn't pushing tons of power but I know people that have put a lot of power to them and they held up decently. They are a bit stiffer and would be wise to get an adjustablt clutch Cable. I have a used one if you want to buy it cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by joser90coupe:

The ones I have always had, the springs on the Clutch disc were always a light blue color, but other then that looked like a regular clutch.
yeah the one i have has the blueish springs on there so it should be a king cobra.
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

King cobra clutch works great!My pedal feels better than the stock clutch did,its actually softer.And no more clutch slipping when i hit second hard either.So far its great.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com