Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog questions
eliminator
¯
Member # 4556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eliminator  Ford pictures for eliminator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all. I have an 89 Mark VII and have a couple of smog related questions. First, I'm planning on a MAF conversion using an A9P computer and all stock parts. Will the smog nazzis let this pass, or for that matter even know the difference? FYI, the MK7's had SD up to '92.

I would also like to install shorty headers, X-pipe, new intake, and adjustable FPR. I believe all these parts have CARB #'s for a Mustang, but will the smog guys accept these mods on the Lincoln? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

[ May 25, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: eliminator ]

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off....grettings. You should have no problems passing on any of the above. what other plans do you have for your ride and hit us with a pic. [patriot]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eliminator:
X-pipe Thanks.

Opps didnt see this...here is where you might have an issue. I dont know of any aftermarket unit that is 49 state legal (meaning legal in CA). What is the brand you want to install?

--------------------

eliminator
¯
Member # 4556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eliminator  Ford pictures for eliminator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The mark is a daily driver/cruiser. Nothing that great to look at. I want to improve power, handling, and economy. It sees a lot of highway use, I've actually put 20K miles on it in the last 6 months. In addition to the engine mods I'd like to do a coil spring conversion and possibly a 5-speed conversion.

I was thinking of Bassani or BBK for an x pipe. I'm actually not sure offhand if their cat pipes are CARB legal, I just assumed they were. If not an H pipe will work fine for me.

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you know the other merc mark people on this board?

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
It sees a lot of highway use, I've actually put 20K miles on it in the last 6 months

got you beat...yeah boyee...i drive 240 miles a day and got almost 30k on my 86 since November 03

--------------------

eliminator
¯
Member # 4556

Not yet.. Hoping to make it to the next cruise in.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:
do you know the other merc mark people on this board?

1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:
It sees a lot of highway use, I've actually put 20K miles on it in the last 6 months

got you beat...yeah boyee...i drive 240 miles a day and got almost 30k on my 86 since November 03
dang..and I was complaining of my 100 miles every day commute... [worship]

[ May 25, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: RD2BBLOWN ]

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they know what they are looking at, the Mass Air conversion would not pass. If you make it look factory they probably wont even notice. If the X-pipe is installed after the stock cats you shouldnt have a problem either. The intake and headers might be a problem because while they have CARB#'s for a Mustang, I dont think they would apply to a Mark VII (although many techs will just look for ANY CARB# and call it good enough). I've never seen a Adj. FPR with a CARB # but I have seen ones that look stock but are adjustable (I think Accel makes em), might want to look into those. Hope this helps

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com