Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » My FMS Headers arrived

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My FMS Headers arrived
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wasn't aware that they were using the "shiny" ceramic coating - those things look amazing. On the less happy side, the studs and nuts they came with appear to be different thread patterns... Looks like one is metric and the other is standard. I love stuff like that. I'm glad I checked it before putting them in the car.
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always liked the FMS units but never could afford them.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get ready to start losin' header bolts! [Big Grin]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did you purchase them? How much?

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9lbpony:
I wasn't aware that they were using the "shiny" ceramic coating - those things look amazing.

Hopefully they'll stay like that....The coating on my BBK headers looked like crap after about 2 weeks.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow - the coating looked bad that quickly? My old BBK shorties look like they did the day they arrived - that's after probably 8 years of driving. Admittedly they were apparently less warped when I first got them...

I ordered the FMS shorties through Summit for $339. They were on backorder for 2 weeks.

I just got back from my local hardware store to find that the header studs appear to be 11mm with a 1.5 pitch. Needless to say, no one carries such a thing. If I recall correctly, my BBK headers came with the wrong nuts for their studs as well. I ended up tapping those for 1/2" hardware. As much as I hate to do it, I think I'll end up doing the same to these. Apparently exhaust companies hate me. (My original BBK order arrived with a passenger side header for a 94-95 and a driver side header for 87-93. Needless to say, the H-pipe didn't line up real well...)

I'll be reusing my Stage 8 header bolts so the only thing I'll be losing are the clips when I try to install them. [Razz]

A good friend of mine is using the new "split" bolts with the allen screw insert - apparently they are working really well for him.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm pretty sure ford windsor heads don't use metric exhaust bolts--- have no idea what car you drive or what heads you have though.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, i would look into that metric bolt thing. that doesnt sound familiar.

my hooker supercomps came black, and they look exactly like they did when they came out of the box. no peeling or fading. i was quite surprised.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

yeah, it might help if I said what car it is. It's a 1994 GT. The 12mm side of the stud fits into the header properly but the H-pipe side seems to be a really odd size. The whole world stocks 10mm and 12mm nuts but this appears to be 11mm. I'm just going to drill and tap for standard hardware - makes life easier.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com