Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What kind of cam.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What kind of cam.
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wsup guys, I have a 86 (Speed density) and I have no plans to convert to Mas-air (well I might). So does that mean that a cam is out of the question? Also what are some good HP gainers that WILL work on a S-D Stang, and are worth the $.

I already have

U/D Pullies
O/R H-pipe (for sale $60)
Flows
Centerforce clutch
and some other little things

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you still have the 86 intake?...

The upper intake manifolds are more restrictive than 87+ SEFI Mustangs...

If anything sucks on 86's it's the cylinder heads...A cam is kinda pointless on a 302 with heads like that...I know it's not the answer you wanna hear, but if you want more power change the heads...

[ May 23, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u want any more power u have to convery to mass air. its not a good idea to run a bigger cam without mass air or stock heads. no power and with speed density it probably wont run correctly

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not going to be able to run any kind of lift with that setup....86's have true flat tops..no valve reliefs. Nevermind the speed density.. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn [Eek!] you guys know your shit. I will definitly change the upper intake. I will do the heads when I can save up enough $ to buy them and pay one of you guys to install em. Any thing else you think I should do?

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Question, can I boil up an 87+ upper intake to my 86 lower, or do I have to change both? B/c I have just the 87+ upper.

What is the difference between the Intakes

RE: the upper intake instalation. Do the fuel lines come out with the upper intake? or do they stay in the lower. [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swapping the heads on an '86 motor is a gamble with piston to valve clearance as the '86 pistons did not have valve reliefs. If you are open to notching your pistons then a headswap is definitely for you (especially if you want to run a cam)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i faced this same problem with my 86 a few years back. you could notch the pistons in the block, they do make a tool for that. i think the smarter road is the way i went and found a super low buck 88-92 shortblock , a used set of heads (ie Gt-40's), a used intake, and a used cam. if you are patient and shop around you can get everything pretty cheap.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just did the swap to a newer intake last month on my 86. I felt a difference between 4500-5000. Dont forget the throttle body and egr plate as well. All I did was change over the manifold vacuum lines over and plug the one fitting on the rear underside of the 87-93 manifold. Good luck

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by six 5.0:
Wsup guys, I have a 86 (Speed density) and I have no plans to convert to Mas-air (well I might). So does that mean that a cam is out of the question? Also what are some good HP gainers that WILL work on a S-D Stang, and are worth the $.

I already have

U/D Pullies
O/R H-pipe (for sale $60)
Flows
Centerforce clutch
and some other little things

this wouldnt be a white one that was for sale about a year ago is it?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

No, I sold that one (fianally) I got a different white one off some old guy that had in storage for approx 4-7 years [Confused] so the more I drive it, the more things start to leak (brake). I have to change my valve cover gaskets (leaking), and BLACK94 5.0 brought up the manifold swap. Now I'am not a mechanicly inclined as you guys, so I'm sure I will have some more Q's on how to do this. I do have some one who has some experince helping me.though.

RE: Heads what if I just bought a used motor off one of you guys and do the swap. Or is it a better idea to go off my block?

PS, Thanks for all the help guys [worship]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, there was a guy giving away a 87+ intake in our ford sale section...The intake swap is really easy...It's pretty straigh foward, just unbolt the intake tube and the "5.0HO" intake cover plate and then take off the six upper intake bolts...Remember it's only the upper 86 intake that is different the 86 lower intake is the same as 87+....BTW, don't look for 100 horse power when you do this, but a fre'er breathing intake will help out...

I recommend getting a different engine or rebuilding the one you have with better pistons...The flat top forged pistons really limits what kind of heads and cam you can use due to piston-to-valve clearence...

You could throw a set of 1.7rr's on the stock heads and be close on your PV clearence and gain some extra hp's, but not as much as you would with better heads....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

I just got one, thanks anyways man. I'am going to do the swap tomorrow, i'll let you guys now how it goes. And when I start really digging in to the motor ill give you guys a hollar. Thanks again for all the guys......... [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

OOOOOOOOOOHHH MAN I F@#ked my up car tryin to do the swap, or at least I thought I did. Shaun came over an fixed it in about 2 min, looks like im not doing anything on my own any more,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks Shaun [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com