Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » exhaust question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: exhaust question
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a stainless stell bassani xpipe wit high flow cats and im waiting on one more of my borla mufflers that i ordered. will this sound nice on my stang? will i feel a difference? its 2.5" everything from the x to the piping to the inlet and outlet of the mufflers. what should i do though dump the pipes?? or run em out the back?? let me know whatll look and sound better! thanks.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
run em out back!

if your car sounds stock (or like shit), it will sound even worse if you magnify it.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by chosen1:
run em out back!

if your car sounds stock (or like shit), it will sound even worse if you magnify it.

couldn't agree more.

I did dumps on my fox, and it's alright, but now that I've done pipes out the back on my 98, I couldn't be happier overall.

If it was a "race car" I'd say dump it, but save yourself the headache and annoyance and make them go out the back.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bring the pipes out the rear where they belong they look better out the back on the newer stangs even the fox body lx [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Geez. Everyone here hates dumps. I'll agree that pipes out the back looks nicer, but if I wanted my car looking nice, it'd have a fresh paintjob, I wouldn't have painted my Harwood with a rattle can and I have the dent on my roof pulled. I guess for me, I really couldn't give a rats ass how the car looked as long as it was a runner. Now I understand that he asked what looks better, but I just had to get this off my chest. Everytime I see a thread regarding turndowns, there's a ton of people that jump in and bash on them like it's the thing to do. The Flowmaster catback looks great, but to me, its not worth the extra $200 or so. Plus, if you put a little pipe on the driver's side, people might mistake it for a 2.3L car. [Big Grin] Ok, I'm done. And finally, my advice:

If you have the money, get pipes out the back.

[patriot]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have dumps, and like how it looks, and how it sounds... but that's the part about cars that some people forget... you drive/own the car, do what you think would be best. [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
out the back!!! cleaner look, cleaner sound [patriot]
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:
Geez. Everyone here hates dumps. I'll agree that pipes out the back looks nicer, but if I wanted my car looking nice, it'd have a fresh paintjob, I wouldn't have painted my Harwood with a rattle can and I have the dent on my roof pulled. I guess for me, I really couldn't give a rats ass how the car looked as long as it was a runner. Now I understand that he asked what looks better, but I just had to get this off my chest. Everytime I see a thread regarding turndowns, there's a ton of people that jump in and bash on them like it's the thing to do.

I wasnt bashin turndowns. My point was there is no point to make a stock sounding car louder. I have dumps on my car that has a stroked 351, decent compression, and a .600+ solid roller. It sounds sick to me.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iirc, the Borla exhaust on the 94-95 was 2.25" at the flow tube and 2.5" for the muffler and tailpipe. Not sure if they changed that for the newer cars.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dumps only made my car louder inside. outside, it might even be quieter

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

chevymuncher
¯
Member # 2832

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chevymuncher  Ford pictures for chevymuncher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have dumps on my car now and it rumbles nice...even at idle...i used to have ford motorsport ceramic racing headers with a bassani x-pipe which fed into flowmasters out the back..i loved it then...it sounded great whenever i would downshift and let the motor's rpm's drop down..it always turned heads and sounded sweet...now with my long tubes i dont have that downshift rumble, but i do benefit with better torque, etc...so either way its cool....but the loudest is definitely to dump em as i have done...

--------------------
97GT,444 RWHP,411 T0RQUE,HCI MOTOR,T-56,CENTERFORCE DUAL FRICTION,BBK LONG-TUBES,BASSANI X-PIPE,GRIGGS REAREND,AND BILSTEIN COIL OVER SUSPENSION.

Posts: 64 | From: Fremont, California | Registered: May 2003  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SpdDevl:
Right now on my stang i have bassani x-pipe with high flow cats and flowmaster exhaust without tail pipes and its pretty loud and everything but not quite what im looking for...i would suggest full bassani exhaust...catback and x-pipe! Thats what im getting installed tomorrow i hope

maybe if your a good girl [Smile]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Norcal95050
¯
Member # 2941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcal95050  Ford pictures for Norcal95050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your exhust going through the back should sound really clean, it will be nice and mellow when at idle and sound loud at wide open throttle.

--------------------
2000 gt - built block, kenne bell sc, t56, full Maximum Motorsport suspension.

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
off road x [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com