Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » starting problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: starting problem
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay, my starter is having a hard time turning over when the car is hot and i've been driving it. it started happening after i moved the battery to the trunk, but i had the same setup on my old notch and never had this problem. the started tried to turn over, turns veeerrrryy slowly, and then usually starts, or i have to wait awhile. i thought it was overheating, so i heat-wrapped it, but that has done no good. anybody know whats wrong? thanks in advance. [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shiftylx:
okay, my starter is having a hard time turning over when the car is hot and i've been driving it. it started happening after i moved the battery to the trunk, but i had the same setup on my old notch and never had this problem. the started tried to turn over, turns veeerrrryy slowly, and then usually starts, or i have to wait awhile. i thought it was overheating, so i heat-wrapped it, but that has done no good. anybody know whats wrong? thanks in advance. [patriot]

Is the starter brand new? Or is it old? I'm thinking that maybe your starter is just going out. Classic symptoms of a starter that is going bad. Keep a hammer with you. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

1972chevelle454
¯
Member # 2539

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1972chevelle454  Ford pictures for 1972chevelle454    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Drew i would try a atrter heat shield, it actually helped hot starts on my chevelle..

--------------------
1972 Chevelle 454
TH400-4:11
SOLD MAY 16th :(

Posts: 246 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1972chevelle454:
quote:

Drew i would try a atrter heat shield, it actually helped hot starts on my chevelle..
i got a starter heat-wrap kit and wrapped it, but it is still happening. the starter is old, but it started the car fine until i put the battery in the trunk, but it started fine when i had the same setup in my old notch.

i also thought the starter was going out, but when its cold it starts fine!
anyone??

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure that you are running a large enough cable from the battery to the solenoid, and check your grounds. If the cables are too small, the cable will heat up due to high resistance and the starter will not crank as fast (and may catch on fire). Same thing goes for the ground side - make sure that the ground has a direct path to the engine block or starter/bellhousing. If you don't have a full length negative cable, make sure that there is no paint or corrosion where it attaches to the body. If you do have the ground hooked to the body rather than the block, you will need to add a cable from the body to the block near the starter.
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey shifty, I've had the same problem on several fords I've owned- the starter bushings are worn, and when the starter gets hot, the shaft binds when pushing against the flywheel! The heat causes the bushes to swell, allowing extra play!Drove me nuts every time!

You can run a current draw test, if you can find the tester- Kragens, or Autozone? Thier Batt tester may have the capability- the tester should show a large current draw, trying to overcome the friction- 'fraid it's the starter, though-

Good luck!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com