Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can glass be buffed?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can glass be buffed?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My front windshiel is peppered. Well I guess that's okay since it's almost 20 years old, but I was wondering if maybe I could take it down with some 2000 grit or something of like that and buff it out with some rubbing compound? or glass compound?

Think it would work? That'd be pretty cool if it did

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
My front windshiel is peppered. Well I guess that's okay since it's almost 20 years old, but I was wondering if maybe I could take it down with some 2000 grit or something of like that and buff it out with some rubbing compound? or glass compound?

Think it would work? That'd be pretty cool if it did

If you took some 200 grit to your windshield i wouldent let anyone see you do [Razz] [Big Grin] not sure of your budget or what vehicle but new windshields are really pretty cheap.
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try using very fine steel wool and some windex. I use steel wool one a month on the stang due to alot of road grime on all of my glass.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is peppered? Just old dirt? Grime? Pits? Chipped? If its a dirt or grime issure I would use a razor blade and some simple green. if its pitted or chipped I would just get a new windshield. [patriot]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
If its a dirt or grime issure I would use a razor blade and some simple green. if its pitted or chipped I would just get a new windshield. [patriot]

[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you dont need to wet sand the glass. I'd seriously consider replacing it if it's chipped though man. Glass can be buffed all day long. Trust me, I'm on my lunch break right now, and in the middle of a water spotted car from hell [Frown]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Peppered- pitted

It's not chipped or anything. I was just hoping there was something I could do since I'm pretty good with the buffer.

The reason I don't want to replace it is because It says "Saleen Mustang" on the very top and that is burned into the glass. If I got another one that'd just be one less thing I could say my car has when people ask me "Hey is that real?"

J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
you dont need to wet sand the glass. I'd seriously consider replacing it if it's chipped though man. Glass can be buffed all day long. Trust me, I'm on my lunch break right now, and in the middle of a water spotted car from hell [Frown]

haha i dont miss that!!!

If it is chipped that bad i would just get it replaced. It will save you alot of hassle of tryin to fix it and it not working.

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
Peppered- pitted

It's not chipped or anything. I was just hoping there was something I could do since I'm pretty good with the buffer.

The reason I don't want to replace it is because It says "Saleen Mustang" on the very top and that is burned into the glass. If I got another one that'd just be one less thing I could say my car has when people ask me "Hey is that real?"

that kinda sucks...couldn't find a replacement with the same banner? or aftermarket banner? Gets hard when you wanna keep everything original huh.
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Checkout wat Eastwood has to offer http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glass+buff

Windshield decals are easily replaced.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DaveG:

Windshield decals are easily replaced.

I think on saleens the saleen part was actually tinted in.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Yea it's tinted in. I didn't notice that part until I was puttin the newer style decal on. I thought it was just part of the tinting film that it had, but when I went to go take it off (bubbled) only the tint came off. The graphic is indeed baked on the windshield...

The old one looked kinda booty anyway, so I might as well just get another windshield, but first im gonna look into that eastwood site and see wussup!

Thanks all [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com