Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Longtubes or Shorties

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Longtubes or Shorties
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKKSTANG  Ford pictures for SIKKSTANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to buy some aftermarket headers and have heard Good things about both. Give me your feedback on which to buy and and how much I'm looking at. I have a 2001 GT and I know they'll be goin for $400+ so let me know if there are better deals.

Thanx Guys

--------------------
Burn rubber on you quick as hell, you need some toilet paper don't shit on yourself...
sikkstang.tripod.com

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think this has been gone over before but i think the concensus(sp?) is that shorties although smog legal and easier to install may not give you back in performance and quality what some of the longtubes out there can.

If you don't mind swapping in a few years for smog and are more performance oriented then i would vote for longtubes.

Have you got somesort of midpipe yet? Mods?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIX02GT:
I think this has been gone over before

yes it has.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

NORCAL281
¯
Member # 3754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCAL281  Ford pictures for NORCAL281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from what i've heard long tubes are the way to go for better performance gains but are not street legal, so if your not worried about smog go for it!

short tubes are legal but from what i've heard, they are not worth the money and your better off buying something else for the stang!

mid-lenth headers can be another route to look at! you might be able to pass the visual but who knows! also i've heard alot of good things like the install will be alot easier then long tubes, the performance gains you can expect from them are much better then short tubes...

im also in the same situation as you but im looking at either long tubes or the mid lenth headers! hopefully someone can give way better info with some dyno #'s [Big Grin] !

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there was an article posted on the corral that ref. a dyno test done on a 400rwhp car and the headers that made the best power were equal length shorty's.

normal shorty's (unequal length) made approx. 5 less hp than long tubes, and the equal length shorty's made 2 more hp than the long tubes.

fwiw, I dont think header choice really matters, especially if you have already bought an off-road mid-pipe for your stock shorty's, thats the majority of the gain with longtubes anyways (removing the cats).

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And remember when it comes time to change your Clutch one of the Long tube headers will have to come off.
Posts: 1817 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKKSTANG  Ford pictures for SIKKSTANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanx guys i know this has been gone through just wanted to bring it up again

--------------------
Burn rubber on you quick as hell, you need some toilet paper don't shit on yourself...
sikkstang.tripod.com

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IF I WORE IN YOUR SHOES I PUT THE SHORTIES
WITH OFF ROAD X-PIPE AND BORLA XR-1S
IF THERES STILL PATIENTS AND MONEY LEFT GET SOME 4:10S INSTalled,
---pop your hood open and look at the engine bay.
think about the time and not to metion effort
of how long it'll take to install then uninstall
those long tube .god damn seriously now think off how hard it is too install some god damn headers on those god damn modular engines....god damn [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Confused] [BS flag]
j/k just shortys seem the more paractical choose
.right?

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

thanx, i got a X-pipe with turned down flows so im just trying to complete my exhaust.

--------------------
sikkstang.tripod.com

SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

i've looked all over eBay and all I can come up with are long tubes. This might sound dumb but where can i get some quality shortys at a reasonable price?

--------------------
sikkstang.tripod.com

Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my freind is parting out his 4.6 has longtubes BBK chrome but there for a automatic with BBK hpipe. Also 03 cobra rims with nitto drag in the back. If intrested

--------------------
Krz4rd5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com