Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I need someone to weld my torque boxes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I need someone to weld my torque boxes
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to start running et streets and need my torque boxes welded. Anyone willing to do a side job, or recommend a shop on the peninsula?
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fwiw

i have been welding for about 5-6 years now, i have installed roll bars, mini tubs, sub frame connectors, floor pans, frames, custom metal parts etc

but the torque box area is somthing that is very important, that i am going to have someone do it for me

spend the $200 to get it done right and never have to think about it again, because if they tear the repair will be easily 4x that is not more

will u tear abox will ok welds on it, probably not but is it really worth $200 to chance it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are going to beat on the car at ALL, save your $, go ahead and get Battle Boxes or something along those lines. You'll thank yourself later!!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Torque boxes are easy to weld up right. The best way to do them is to pull the lower control arms out and seam weld everything. For cars seeing the drag strip or high horsepower cars you can also plate the torque boxes with steel plate which is as easy to get as going to the local Orchard hardware supply. Battle boxes are not a bad choice they are just extra money you don't really need to spend.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wouldn't even worry about torque boxes till you reach around 400 rwhp.
i live dangerously running hi 11's w/ consistant 1.60's 6o'ft times ...stock axles,stock t5, no cage, no boxes,and sad to say not even subframes. [Frown] lol.i will need to replace theses sooner later.one easy way,or the other [Roll Eyes]
but torque boxes aren't needed till roughly
low 11's
so run those slicks with 11.5 psi and leave at 4200rpm don't forget to hold on! [Big Grin] [patriot]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
fwiw

i have been welding for about 5-6 years now, i have installed roll bars, mini tubs, sub frame connectors, floor pans, frames, custom metal parts etc

but the torque box area is somthing that is very important, that i am going to have someone do it for me

Wait....So you can install all of the above, but not weld torque boxes? [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car should run low 13s all day with slicks maybe a miracle high 12 (it does 13.69 @ 103.6 on street tires right now). Street illegal thinks I shouldn't even worry about the torque boxes what does everyone else think?
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With slicks I would do them for sure
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
fwiw

Wait....So you can install all of the above, but not weld torque boxes? [Confused]
i am looking for 1.29 60' on my new combo, that is a shitload of stress on the lowers

i would weld the uppers myself, because those dont see nearly as much stress as the lowers

it is very very easy to burn through the lower torque box metal because it is old and not the thickest stuff ever

i guess what i am saying is i am very good at welding anything that is thick, as in like .100" bar or larger, but i dont like welding sheetmetal type areas, like a unit body

the reason i can do subframe connectors is because u can work off the thick metal of the subframe connector and bring the bead up and melt it into the sheetmetal [patriot]

BUT!!!!!, i might have to retract my statement, because i should be picking up a TIG welder tommorrow [Eek!] , plenty of strenght and no more melt through [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

What you do is lay one spot weld at a time overlapping the one you just did. This way the heat doesn't build up enough to burn through but still provides a solid bead on all seams.

[ May 15, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the wild rides battle boxes and love them. My brothers friend put them in and he has been welding for 10+ years so it came out nice

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
What you do is lay one spot weld at a time overlapping the one you just did. This way the heat doesn't build up enough to burn through but still provides a solid bead on all seams.

another problem i was having was using a little 115 volt welder

i just got my 220 volt working again and that is alot easier to use because the power is a lot more constant and the bead flows alot easier

but the tig welder is what i will be using [Big Grin]

now i just need a bender so i can do custom cages and build my turbo kit [worship]

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
BUT!!!!!, i might have to retract my statement, because i should be picking up a TIG welder tommorrow [Eek!] , plenty of strenght and no more melt through [Big Grin]

So Eric you will be home next weekend right [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] . I have battle boxes, I think UPR sells a set for the cheapest around, I would get them welded up if I was you. Look at it this way, it wont hurt the performance of your car, just strengthen it [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
quote:

So Eric you will be home next weekend right [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] . I have battle boxes, I think UPR sells a set for the cheapest around, I would get them welded up if I was you. Look at it this way, it wont hurt the performance of your car, just strengthen it [patriot]
im gonna weld them up, just with a tig welder once i get it, if i get it, i want that bitch [Big Grin]

and dude u still need to get yours welded

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should certainly have them welded up. I'm only putting down around 270 rwhp and with my Max Motorsports lower control arms and not sticky Bridgestone tires I ripped the passenger side box and started to rip the drivers side.

The repair and welding was done by Sheldon at Big Boy Racing. I would not hesitate to recommend him. He is a great guy and does great work. He appears to be a very good fabricator and knows a thing or two about welding up Mustangs.

http://www.bigboyracing.com/

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
i wouldn't even worry about torque boxes till you reach around 400 rwhp.
i live dangerously running hi 11's w/ consistant 1.60's 6o'ft times ...stock axles,stock t5, no cage, no boxes,and sad to say not even subframes. [Frown] lol.i will need to replace theses sooner later.one easy way,or the other [Roll Eyes]
but torque boxes aren't needed till roughly
low 11's
so run those slicks with 11.5 psi and leave at 4200rpm don't forget to hold on! [Big Grin] [patriot]

my brother's car only had 265rwhp he would cut high 1.6 60ft on slicks and his torque boxes were fuck up...so i say weld them up now...
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one more thing sheldon over at bigboyracing did a great job fixing the torque boxes...
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by onesicklx:
one more thing sheldon over at bigboyracing did a great job fixing the torque boxes...

Sheldon KNOWS his torque boxes!.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Torque boxes are easy to weld up right. The best way to do them is to pull the lower control arms out and seam weld everything. For cars seeing the drag strip or high horsepower cars you can also plate the torque boxes with steel plate which is as easy to get as going to the local Orchard hardware supply. Battle boxes are not a bad choice they are just extra money you don't really need to spend.

how much do you charge to weld up the torque boxes with the steel palte?

--------------------
gt40

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Hey give us a call at the shop. http://www.dynolabs.com Tell Ray that Mike told ya to call.

--------------------

lawmans_GT
¯
Member # 3235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawmans_GT  Ford pictures for lawmans_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get at sheldon, at big boy racing. he did mine so i would have no problems in the future. he also did my LCA's and sub frame connectors, he is a freat guy and stands behind his work

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com