Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tranny problem maybe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny problem maybe
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was on my way home from san jose today and was sitting in traffic and i notciced a whinning noise when i would accelate in the early gears. i didnt think it was my car but then i kept hearing it. so i got home and let it chill for a while. i went to go get some dinner just now and wanted to see if it was still making that noise. and i did, so i took it into a parking garage to hear it better it still sounded the same and i know the car has never made this noise before. if i slowly accelate i can hear it consistatly especially in first gear.

hears the specs on my car:
98 gt,5spd, 80000 miles, and i have a steeda short throw shifter...
ive had the shifter installed for two years so yes i am familier with being able to hear the tranny much more that stock. i know that it makes a whining noise normally but this is like intesified times 2 so i am kinda worrried.
does anybody know whats up?

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's kinda hard to diagnos noises over the internet...

1) Check the fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission to make sure the fluid level is full...

2) Replace the fluid with new fluid and see if it helps...

3) Does it go away in neutral or is the noise still there?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
acutally i had my transmission service a week or two ago so the fluids should be fresh and full but i will check the fullness anyway, and its the noise isnt there in neutral only with the car in gear, i kno this cause i checked my enging and reved it. thanks for any help you can give me!

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you know what fluid was used when you had it serviced?....I'd definately look into that...

--------------------

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure but i will check up on it cause my friend at jiffy lube changed it

[ May 12, 2004, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Sicc98GT ]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

98 GT's use Dextron/Mercon III in the trans mission...I'm thinking your friend filled your trans with 75w gear oil....

--------------------

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

alright, thanks...ill go by there tommarrow and find out what he put in it [patriot]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

hey can you let me know what they say after you get it checked out, that would be greatly appreciated bro [patriot]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by Sicc98GT:
alright, thanks...I'll go by there tommorrow and find out what he put in it [patriot]

What fluid did your friend put in your transmission???....

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by SpdDevl:
I'll let you know what happens....and im a girl! [patriot]

Maybe you should change your name to "SpdSheDevl".... [Big Grin]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The world needs more women who are into cars. [worship] This way I can find one to relate to LoL

[ May 16, 2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
The world needs more women who are into cars. [worship] This way I can find one to relate to LoL

I 2nd you on that one brother! [worship]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
I'll let you know what happens....and im a girl! [patriot]

sorry...broette! [patriot] [Big Grin]

[ May 16, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Sicc98GT ]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
alright, thanks...I'll go by there tommorrow and find out what he put in it [patriot]

the cars been in the garage...havnt had the time to check it out, hopefully today though! btw spdshedevil haha [Razz] did you notice a performance difference?, cuz my car still runs good and exactly the same.

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
quote:

i went down to talk to him yesterday and he said the put like multicar atf4 or something like that...is that ok or no? [Confused]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

quote:
but seriously i dont really notice a hp difference either but the fact that i can HEAR the whinning and squeakiness of the back makes me hella upset. Plus when u kno ur rearend is messed up in your car, you cant really race ur car on the road either [Embarrassed] But Im still taking it in to be serviced on Thursday so I will update on the conclusion by then

i think i might be tripping, i dont hear any squeakiness at all i just hear a louder whine! i might sound like a dumbass but i know when installed my short throw a long time ago i really liked being able to here the transmission working, i got flows and i could still hear it, then i installed a off road h pipe and that was a while ago and i dont remember if i could hear it or not maybe cause the exhast was a lot louder or im thinking i also havnt serviced my transmission for a while so is it possible that since i serviced it it is working a lot smoothly again like it did a few years ago and thats why i can hear it. [Confused]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
but seriously i dont really notice a hp difference either but the fact that i can HEAR the whinning and squeakiness of the back makes me hella upset. Plus when u kno ur rearend is messed up in your car, you cant really race ur car on the road either [Embarrassed] But Im still taking it in to be serviced on Thursday so I will update on the conclusion by then

i think i might be tripping, i dont hear any squeakiness at all i just hear a louder whine! i might sound like a dumbass but i know when installed my short throw a long time ago i really liked being able to here the transmission working, i got flows and i could still hear it, then i installed a off road h pipe and that was a while ago and i dont remember if i could hear it or not maybe cause the exhast was a lot louder or im thinking i also havnt serviced my transmission for a while so is it possible that since i serviced it it is working a lot smoothly again like it did a few years ago and thats why i can hear it. [Confused]
In any case, if it ends up being normal noise, I will just get loud exhaust to mask it and hopefully i won't have to hear it any longer.
Quite possibly the worst Idea I've ever heard. Don't "mask" anything because you won't just be covering up that noise, you'll be covering up everything in the future as well.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
quote:
quote:

i went down to talk to him yesterday and he said the put like multicar atf4 or something like that...is that ok or no? [Confused]
AFT-4 is for Mopar/Dodge's.... [Roll Eyes]

Go back and just put some plain Dextron/Mercon III in the transmission....

--------------------

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

thanx i will!!!
spddevl-good luck [Wink]

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
thanx i will!!!
spddevl-good luck [Wink]

and after 35 minutes finally figured that the carrier bearings were shot on both ends of the rear axle.
Bearings huh? Wow...that sounds awefully familiar.

As for them putting your car on a lift and knowing it needs a clutch....how does that work?

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com