Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Flywheel ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Flywheel ?
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What would be the benifit of getting a billett steel flywheel vs a stock iron flywheel? I need to get a new one for a 331 being built and their is a big price difference just trying to see if it is worth the money. It is fo a 91 5.0 Thanxx [Cool]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A billet steel flywheel will be a lot stronger...Other than that there are really no other benefits...Billet aluminum flywheels are lighter and stronger, but you did say billet steel...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A billet flywheel is obviously stronger then a cast OEM flywheel. If you decide to upgrade your flywheel I would look at Billet Aluminum Flywheels. Since they are somewhat lighter = less rotating mass may give you faster rev's and and RPM climbing, but low-rpm torque somewhat suffers somewhat.
I believe Billet Steel won't be much lighter then OEM, but it will be stronger nonetheless. IMHO unless you're building a 7,000+ RPM road-racer or drag monster I wouldn't really invest in one, I would rather get a good bellhousing to prevent blow-outs instead.
If you're looking at new flywheels, I found out reman. Autozone one (newly machined) is cheaper then a brand-new one.

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure if you get an aftermarket one, you get one that is SFI approved
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Billet steel flywheel is stronger than a cast iron one but is significantly heavier. Aluminum will be stronger than stock but since it is lighter will add horsepower.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
Billet steel flywheel is stronger than a cast iron one but is significantly heavier. Aluminum will be stronger than stock but since it is lighter will add horsepower.

SO a billet steel flywheel is HOW much heavier than a cast iron???????????

--------------------

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Straight from the Summit catalog: "...billet steel flywheels are heavier in weight-over 30 pounds-to help improve acceleration and enhance torque."
"These [aluminum] flywheels weigh just 15 pounds and are ideal for street, road race, and oval track applications."
Usually most cast iron 5.0 flywheels are around 23 lbs. [Smile]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the help guys! I have decided to just order a stock replacment instead of spending 300-400 for a steel flywheel I think I should be o.k I can use the money I saved on the flywheel for some longtubes [Big Grin]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Straight from the Summit catalog: "...billet steel flywheels are heavier in weight-over 30 pounds-to help improve acceleration and enhance torque."
"These [aluminum] flywheels weigh just 15 pounds and are ideal for street, road race, and oval track applications."

OK, first, What summit catalog do you have?...I have the May-June 2004 in front of me...Second, you have to compare apples to apples...

A (stock replacement)Ram 50oz billet steel flywheel for a 10.5" Ford weights about 24lbs...That's about 1 pound, keep in mind these are stronger and more dense and won't shatter like the stock cast iron flywheel...That is hardly "significant heavier"...

FYI~You shouldn't base tech info on advertisements in a catalog or magazine...Most all catalogs or magazine ads are trying to sell something... [patriot]

--------------------

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:

OK, first, What summit catalog do you have?...I have the May-June 2004 in front of me...Second, you have to compare apples to apples...

A (stock replacement)Ram 50oz billet steel flywheel for a 10.5" Ford weights about 24lbs...That's about 1 pound, keep in mind these are stronger and more dense and won't shatter like the stock cast iron flywheel...That is hardly "significant heavier"...

FYI~You shouldn't base tech info on advertisements in a catalog or magazine...Most all catalogs or magazine ads are trying to sell something... [patriot]

This would be for Hays flywheels on a catalog from 2003. It's true about magazines trying to sell something but then again this is information that a manufacturer would relay to the advertiser or retailer which in this case is Summit. If the manufacturer's information can't be trusted to be accurate then who's information is accurate?

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The other thing to consider here is not all shops can turn or resurface a billet steel flywheel since they are so much harder. The typical stone used to cut a factory flywheel will be eaten up with the harder material. My suggestion is to resurface the stock one unless you are looking for every little bit out of the motor. In that case aluminum is the way to go.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
[QUOTE] If the manufacturer's information can't be trusted to be accurate then who's information is accurate?

This is true, I've read manufactures ads that say, "a billet aluminum will make you acclerate faster", and I've read ads that say, "billet steel flywheels make you accelrate faster!"...Manufactures are trying to sell their products...You just have to learn how it works and decide for yourself... [patriot]

I ran a FMS billet flywheel on my 86 GT, I felt no difference, but it was nice to know it was there [Big Grin] ...I've ran resurfaced stock flywheels on my 94 GT and other cars and had no problems...

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com