Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP w/plugs on 01GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP w/plugs on 01GT
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My girlfriends car hasn't been running quite right. It sometimes surges when first fired up and it does just about always detonate at high RPM's even with 91 octane. I picked up a set of Autolite 764's, but when taking out the old plugs I found some NGK TR5-1's. The NGK's are longer on both sides of the middle wrench area.

Thoughts? Are the NGK's wrong or the Autolites? My friends said he swapped the ford plugs for one stage colder NGK's when he owned it because of detonation, but they really look all together different.

Thoughts?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 764s are the stock equivelnt plugs. I've ran the NGK TR55s and a two step colder race version of the NGKs. I'm not sure about the ones you have. You can look them up online and see if they are the correct ones for your car. As far as the 764s go, what do you have them gapped at? I put them in my car at the stock gap and the car drove like crap in the upper RPM range. I had to re-gap the plugs down to 39 or 40 and it runs great now.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I gapped them at 52thou. Upon startup it idles much better. I am taking it to drop off and pick up some parts in a little bit so I will let you know how it acts up in the RPM's.

Thanks Mark [patriot]

--------------------

4.6GT
¯
Member # 2643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6GT  Ford pictures for 4.6GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 02gt what plugs and wires should i use and what should i gap them to mycar all the basic bolt ons thanx for the info

--------------------
CAR 2002 mustang GT 5spd
254rwhp/305 ft lb torque N/A

Best E.T
1.93 60ft 13.1 @105

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Mark, the car ran great! Idle was 100 times better and NO detonating even with the heat outside and 87 octane gas.

I'll email you some pics of the plugs side by side when I get a chance!

--------------------

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The TR55 is the same as a TR5, except that the extra 5 means it has a bigger gap.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4.6GT:
i have a 02gt what plugs and wires should i use and what should i gap them to mycar all the basic bolt ons thanx for the info

99 and later 4.6 mustangs have coil on plug ignition that eliminates the need for ignition wires. The stock spark plugs are fine, I would leave them alone.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
4.6GT
¯
Member # 2643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6GT  Ford pictures for 4.6GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
k cool but i should leave the gap at stock gap or gap the at a different gap?

--------------------
CAR 2002 mustang GT 5spd
254rwhp/305 ft lb torque N/A

Best E.T
1.93 60ft 13.1 @105

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com